I want to make a mosfet driver using bjt transistors, any ideas on a circuit schematic?

Omegab

Joined Mar 4, 2021
I cant seem to make something that i can use for a tesla coil,and i just want to make my own driver

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
A quick google of 'mosfet driver bjt' brings up lots of circuits. You need to be more specific as to the characteristics you're looking for in your driver circuit, e.g. current capability, voltages.

Omegab

Joined Mar 4, 2021
Thanks Alec t for the advice, a quick search shows that one bjt npn transistor probably is enough to drive an n channel mosfet

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
For making Sparks,
You want the absolute fastest Switching that you can get.
Especially with an Air-Cored Transformer.

Use either one of these ...........
Which one depends on how much Gate Capacitance you are trying to pump.
One is ~6-Amp-Peak,
and the other is ~30-Amp-Peak,
MCP14 06 07
IXDD630
You may also need a Super-Fast Diode to overcome the "Stickiness" of the MOSFET Body-Diode.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I cant seem to make something that i can use for a tesla coil,and i just want to make my own driver
Look at the circuit schematic for a class AB audio amplifier. It will actively pull the gate of a MOSFET up and down. Here is an example:

For switching applications you don't want a source follower and you want to stay out of the linear region.

Attachments

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
You never said the frequency the Tesla coil driver operates at. A Mosfet has a high gate capacitance that takes a fairly high current for it to charge and discharge quickly. Quickly means fast.
Here is a Mosfet driver circuit that turns the Mosfet on and off quickly with a pair of transistors:

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You never said the frequency the Tesla coil driver operates at. A Mosfet has a high gate capacitance that takes a fairly high current for it to charge and discharge quickly. Quickly means fast.
Here is a Mosfet driver circuit that turns the Mosfet on and off quickly with a pair of transistors:
Yep. No need to worry about that pesky crossover distortion in a switch.