I want to make a circuit with a slow dc motor, a pot to change the speed of the motor.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
RS has LEDs designed and labeled as 12 volts. Just buy them and connect them, being sure to face them with +12 volts on the wire that is supposed to go to the positive voltage.

Aminnich

Joined Aug 6, 2015
Hi Aminnich,
I just registered here today.I'm the PCB fabricator in Shenzhen of China.
I can help you to make the prototype for 5 pcs for free,
you just need to pay the shipping cost.
Send me your PCB gerber file if you want.
In post #10 I posted an ebay item that is virtually identical to the circuit in post #2 except it requires the switch added if you want reversal, you just wire it to the output.
Would I still need the potentiometer?

Mods Edit : Please don't show your Email on the post, it will bring the spam to you and the forums.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Would I still need the potentiometer?
The speed control controls speed. The reversing switch controls reversing. The potentiometer is part of the speed control. There is no potentiometer connected to the reversing switch. Adding a reversing switch will not remove the need for a speed control.

Aminnich

Joined Aug 6, 2015
I need a switch to change the direction of the motor. Do u guys know what Im talking about when I at switch turnout? It is a small motion that isn't done fast, it is a slow motion. I need the motor to go from side to side at a slow speed, the potentiometer would allow me to control the speed and the switch would allow me to change the direction of the motor. And the LEDs can just be connected with ease. No problem their

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Use the schematic in post #2 to see where to connect the output of the speed control to the switch and then connect the switch to the motor.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have little understanding of the schematic
Ahh! So that's why this has been so difficult.

I want to make a circuit with a slow dc motor, a pot to change the speed of the motor, and a switch to change the dorection of the motor.
You want to make a circuit but you can't read a drawing of the circuit.

This needs some thinking. How to tell you how to make a circuit when you can't read the drawing.
All in words? All in pictures?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
hey guys, I am new to this thread, not necessarily circuits. I have took a clas in high school on this kinda stuff, but I forgot a lot of it. Now I'm starting a model train layout and I want to do something abnormal things to the layout (also saving some money) so here is my problem..... I want to make a circuit with a slow dc motor, a pot to change the speed of the motor, and a switch to change the dorection of the motor. Im using this for the turnouts. I have googled it, but haven't found anything, I don't even know if it can b done. Thanks for any help!!
With this article in mind what are your turnouts using?

7. Powering Switches - Installing Switch Machines
Some switches come pre-wired and powered. You can also add power to manual switch machines with after-market motors. Model switches are generally powered by one of two devices.

1. Twin-Coil machines use a simple twin-coiled electro-magnet to throw the points. These are inexpensive and commonly found in factory-powered switches. Disadvantages include a very fast action and high, though brief, Amperage draw.
  2. Switch Motors are small motors which move the points back and forth. Most are low-voltage and "stall" motors which draw a low current all the time to hold the points tight without burning out. These motors operate realistically and can often run for decades without maintenance, but they are generally more expensive than twin-coils.
Since you mentioned motors I assume #2? Electric trains have come a long way since 1957 when my Lionel set ran around the Christmas Tree. :)

Ron