I want to make a 1940's to 1950's television set

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Building one of those sets would be quite an exercise. The circuit information is certainly available as well as books telling how the circuits work and describing servicing those sets. While you can still get many of the parts, the horizontal output transformers and deflection coils will be a challenge. Depending on where you are I may be able to give you such a book, or perhaps a few of them.
And there is one problem remaining is that television broadcasting, at least in the USA, has completely changed the format and gone digital. This was done to create an adequate demand for new TV sets, as is demonstrated by the fact that none of the current programming benefits from the higher resolution claimed.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
Building one of those sets would be quite an exercise. The circuit information is certainly available as well as books telling how the circuits work and describing servicing those sets. While you can still get many of the parts, the horizontal output transformers and deflection coils will be a challenge. Depending on where you are I may be able to give you such a book, or perhaps a few of them.
And there is one problem remaining is that television broadcasting, at least in the USA, has completely changed the format and gone digital. This was done to create an adequate demand for new TV sets, as is demonstrated by the fact that none of the current programming benefits from the higher resolution claimed.
I am from Slovakia. I don't want to make analog receiver, just Video monitor with Rca input. Can you Tell me Name of the books, please?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am from Slovakia. I don't want to make analog receiver, just Video monitor with Rca input. Can you Tell me Name of the books, please?
OK, producing just a video monitor that has a composite video input is a much simpler project. And there are circuits of televisions sold in the 1960's and 1970's that also use composite video=NTSC video. But I have a word of caution at this point, which is that there are at least 3 different video schemes, and they are different enough to not be interchangable. The 3 kinds are "NTSC" used in the USA, PAL, and "SECAM", found in France and other countries. There may even be other systems that had been used in the Soviet Blok countries that I am not aware of. So you need to be sure about which system your video source uses, so that the monitor you build will work with it.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
In Slovakia, after war, we had PAL, then in 70s SECAM, so all manufacturing Systems needed to be completely else, and since 80s, we have PAL again.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
In Slovakia, after war, we had PAL, then in 70s SECAM, so all manufacturing Systems needed to be completely else, and since 80s, we have PAL again.
OK, there is a problem because the only information that I have is for NTSC televisions. While the deflection and video could be similar the synchronization portion is not. But now that your specific requirement is defined there should be somebody who can provide you with the needed information.
here in the USA we have companies constantly wanting to make the current system obsolete so that folks are forced to constantly upgrade. The computer industry is even much worse, constantly changing things.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
OK, there is a problem because the only information that I have is for NTSC televisions. While the deflection and video could be similar the synchronization portion is not. But now that your specific requirement is defined there should be somebody who can provide you with the needed information.
here in the USA we have companies constantly wanting to make the current system obsolete so that folks are forced to constantly upgrade. The computer industry is even much worse, constantly changing things.
I have schematic for deflection, I found it here: http://danyk.cz/elmon2_en.html. It is circuit for 13LO3I, but B13S8 has more electrodes, so I dont know how to connect HV power supply.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Some of the original analogue monitors used a input standard such as VGA,SVGA, EGA, CGA then there was the MDA TTL monitor.
Building the HOT, horizontal output transformer will be quite a feat.
Also you need a set of scan coils to fit the neck of the tube.
Are you building everything from scratch?
Max.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
Some of the original analogue monitors used a input standard such as VGA,SVGA, EGA, CGA then there was the MDA TTL monitor.
Building the HOT, horizontal output transformer will be quite a feat.
Also you need a set of scan coils to fit the neck of the tube.
Are you building everything from scratch?
Max.
It doesn't have electromagnetic deflection, it is oscilloscope Crt.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I wanted to build some 1940 or 1950s model of television.
What about buying an old 1 to restore, by completely taking it apart, even rremoving all the parts and old solder, and doing what-ever it needs ? That's my plan

I have an old vacuum tube oscilloscope, that needs a new transformer, if not more, some day sooner than later I want to fully restore it.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
What about buying an old 1 to restore, by completely taking it apart, even rremoving all the parts and old solder, and doing what-ever it needs ? That's my plan

I have an old vacuum tube oscilloscope, that needs a new transformer, if not more, some day sooner than later I want to fully restore it.
Old TVs here in Slovakia are very expensive. I will make it form wood.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
Hello,

Are you sure it is a B13S8?
I can only find datasheets for the B13S5 and the dual ray B13S25.

I found the B13S8 at the radio museum:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/
Hello,

Are you sure it is a B13S8?
I can only find datasheets for the B13S5 and the dual ray B13S25.

I found the B13S8 at the radio museum:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_b13s8.html
You will need to register to get the datasheet.
A membership over there will cost $25.

Bertus
I know about radiomuseum, but i dont want to pay them :).

Bertus

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The good news is that the circuit drawing shows what sort of voltages are required for each element. So now you have a fair idea as to what is required. The effort to build a working monitor starting with just a CRT will be very great. So I suggest considering the cost and effort compared to the benefit of having a green screen 5 inch monitor.

The OP's original stated goal is: I want to make a 1940s to 1950s television set.

Which means no semiconductors at all, only vacuum tubes. It constrains the requirements a little further.

Speaking of which, when I see the schematics of those old TV chassis, whether solid state or tubes, I am awed at the analog circuit design proficiency.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Indeed! I came across the circuit of an old electrostatic TV set recently. I think it was the "Andrea" brand. And with no magnetic deflection there is no horizontal output transformer to make the high voltage for the CRT. Quite interesting indeed.