I want help

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I want some one to help me udder stand more about electronics.
a free teacher of resource or study budy
I'm not sure if this hobby is for me.
i've done some projects in a book but follwing instructions with out details is easy. put this pin to this pin with this compenant.
I have a booklet of projects and they too you where to put wires and such.
I dont want to be told what to do is why im asking this.
I'd like some one to give me the right puss so i nkow what it all means.

The books make me feel stupid. they tell you to connect random pins to pins but doesnt explain why they do it or what its there

I wanted to do this as a profession because ive been trying to build stuff sinve i was 8 years old. instead my parents said i was stupid. and thats all they say is thatyour stupid your stupid.

can any one help me under stand better?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's very hard to know how to help you with such generic information. We have know idea what knowledge you've managed to acquire, what wrong information you have managed to come to think is correct (and we all carry around some of that), and where the best place is to help you move in the direction you are trying to go.

So perhaps this is a place to start: Pick one of the simpler projects where you have just taken the 'this pin goes there' approach but that you think you may have some idea of what might be going on, at least in part of it, and post the schematics and describe what you think is going on and try to come up with a few questions the get at where you think you don't have much of an idea or that you think might help you confirm what you are thinking. We'll then be able to provide some focused feedback.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Speaking as a novice,I really enjoy video tutorials,try youtube w/ users like eevblog,afrotechmods etc etc.

They help you get at least a loose grip on some concepts so you can better understand the books.

Then you can apply that knowledge to small projects,and come here and get help ironing out the details.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It sounds like you want something hands on. I might suggest some sort of Learning Lab. That link is just one suggestion you may be able to get locally.

You can try the experiments in the lab, and come back here to ask any questions you have.

I did have lots of fun using the "What's a Microcontroller" kit I got from them almost a decade ago. That is dedicated to using a small computer but it was interesting to see how they could light LEDs, sense buttons & pots and a few other things.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Welcome to AAC..........:)

Something you will need on a hobbyist level, will be a good DC power supply, preferably variable, with an output potential of around 5 amps.

That said, you also want to perouse a short course on electrical safety, and know that electricity can kill a careless person in short order.

Building a variable power supply..... there are a truckload of possible circuits ..... will get you familiar with a considerable group of components.....Transformers, Rectifier diodes, to convert AC to DC, capacitors and inductors as applied to ripple filtering, and what they do in circuit, and how Ohms' Law describes what is happening with different component relationships.
There is a lot of math involved, tho' don't let that throw you.......I am not all that good with complex math, and take it as needed to deal with what I am working on. It comes easier that way.

Don't be in a hurry, it can be a frustrating as well as an expensive hobby. The learning lab approach ErnieM suggested is a good road to take. One step at a time........

As for those who will cry "stupid" ? I've been down that turnpike, and studiously ignored the lot of them. The only stupid question, is the one you don't ask. Bertus nails that theory in his signature.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Start a project, or ask a specific question. If it is not a duplicate then you will get help. That is how it works.