I want an English name

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
I dont have english name, dont know choose which one?
who can give me some advice?
"Mary" "Linda""Emma"...seems used too much.:p

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Sarah, Hannah, Lisa, Kelly, Anna, Fiona, Paris, Penny, Zoe, Yvonne.
Any good?
<ed> post 1024 - my favorite number</ed>

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
What is your given name? It might help to choose and English name that shares syllabic pattern or phonetics with your given name.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Mrs Rocky Mountains?
Nah seriously do you have to pick an english name like in the indian call centers. If so I'll throw some names of some ladies I've know
Susan
Courtney
Heather
Sarah
Lori
Hagitha
Shawanda
Charmita
Che Ne' Ne'

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Why do you want an English name? Are you coming to the US or other English country?

A name doesn't determine anything, but it may contribute to a first impression. Misty, Gypsy, Lulu might give the impression of someone cute and playful, but not too smart. Names like Katherine (Catherine), Nancy, and Pauline give a more serious impression. Some names are associated with different religions and races. Sara (no "h") and Rebecca are associate with Jewish. Names like Lejuana and Gyneatha are popular among blacks (it is more of a sound or spelling than any specific name). Some very old names are making a comeback. Names like Josephine (Josie), Emily, and Rose are making a comeback. And of course, even among English speaking nations, different names will be associated with different nations. It is also becoming a common practice for children to be given names derived from other nationalities, like Kaia.

You have a great advantage in choosing your name as an adult, since your personality and physical characteristics are known. My advice is that if you are working with a group of American or other native English speakers, ask them what names they would like.

Then, if you have trouble deciding, you could post a selection here for our opinions.

John

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
My suggestion is Jessica. As you somehow remind me of Jessica Rabbit. So it has to be Jessica. The name fit you very well

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
Why do you want an English name? Are you coming to the US or other English country?

A name doesn't determine anything, but it may contribute to a first impression. Misty, Gypsy, Lulu might give the impression of someone cute and playful, but not too smart. Names like Katherine (Catherine), Nancy, and Pauline give a more serious impression. Some names are associated with different religions and races. Sara (no "h") and Rebecca are associate with Jewish. Names like Lejuana and Gyneatha are popular among blacks (it is more of a sound or spelling than any specific name). Some very old names are making a comeback. Names like Josephine (Josie), Emily, and Rose are making a comeback. And of course, even among English speaking nations, different names will be associated with different nations. It is also becoming a common practice for children to be given names derived from other nationalities, like Kaia.

You have a great advantage in choosing your name as an adult, since your personality and physical characteristics are known. My advice is that if you are working with a group of American or other native English speakers, ask them what names they would like.

Then, if you have trouble deciding, you could post a selection here for our opinions.

John
John,thanks for the information,I dont have to pick one ,and most time I work with native people.but occasionally I need one

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
How about Susan or Suzanne, both fairly popular names which can shorten to Sue?

(Are you just quoting film character names Blueroom? Multipass would be funny.)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Many of these "English" names, like Jessica and Josephine, have religious significance in the Old Testament. Not that that makes any difference, but it does reflect Western culture.

As for your name, if your "last" name is one syllable, like Wong, Yu, etc., I think short, two or three syllable names (e.g., Nancy, Mary, Pauline) go well and are easy to pronounce. You might want to avoid something that could have a double entendre, like Suzanne Yu (short version = Sue Yu).

John

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Perhaps a historic scriptural name. Like Lilit, Eva, Delila or Salome. All known to be important and famous femme fatles of their time period