I tried to make a quiz game show circuit thingy.

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
I tried to make a quiz game show circuit thingy, like the ones in Jeopardy, to have a game night with my family. My circuit doesn't work as there are 2 leds lighted up instead of 1. Other than adding a pull up to each d flip flop what else could i do? Also anyone know how to make it such that there is a certain amount of time before they cant answer anymore or like a certain sound for a wrong and correct answer.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-19 at 5.10.03 PM.jpeg
Screenshot 2020-07-19 at 5.24.49 PM.png

Attachments

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
We have to give advice based on an inaccurate schematic. You should note that therfore the advice may be inaccurate!

You have logic inputs left floating. This is asking for trouble, especially with CMOS logic. They should be connected to VCC or 0V as appropriate for your circuit.
Are these TTL or CMOS chips?

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
We have to give advice based on an inaccurate schematic. You should note that therfore the advice may be inaccurate!

You have logic inputs left floating. This is asking for trouble, especially with CMOS logic. They should be connected to VCC or 0V as appropriate for your circuit.
oh ya the input is floating, these are CMOS chips

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020

it isnt a inaccurate schematic, i was just too lazy to update it!

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
OK.
Switch Off the 5V power, wait about 5seconds, power up, what state are the LED's showing.?

BTW: add some decoupling to the5V rail say 47uF and 100nF.
E

Update:
When S4 is Open the Reset pins are floating!

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
hi,
OK.
Switch Off the 5V power, wait about 5seconds, power up, what state are the LED's showing.?

BTW: add some decoupling to the5V rail say 47uF and 100nF.
E

Update:
When S4 is Open the Reset pins are floating!
add a another pull up to s4?!
gonna hv to try that another day, had to go to visit my parents :)

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
hi,
R7 is not required, add a 4k7 to the Reset line as a pull up, so when S4 open the F/F are reset.
E
that should fix everything? Also do you know how to make it such that there is a certain amount of time before they cant answer anymore or like a certain sound for a wrong and correct answer.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@ericgibbs , As I see the IO1 is the 5 Volts from the supply.
See the right side at the supply.
The only thing that worries me is that all labels are as output.

@electronics123 , Wich chips are you actualy using?
That way we can see wich pins need to be grounded or out high.

Bertus