I paid someone to design this amp a fiver, is it any good?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The big takeaway here is that anyone with the electronic design chops to pull this off would not be lurking around on Fiverr.

Those skills are worth real money.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
@CosmicOrderMachines
Why didn't you just go online, find an Amp design and copy it. It would have gave you everything you need to do the job. You probably could have found one with more amps too! Don't tell Audioguru I said that.
Brzrkr

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
And (piling on), the 3055 will not function at 1 MHz. Its gain-bandwidth product is 2.5 MHz, and it needs to provide a current gain of at least 20, which it can not.

Also, the first time the amplifier output goes below GND, D4 will burn up. And no one has mentioned the input stage yet, or the feedback structure.

As OBW said, SO much wrong ...

Note - a 1 MHz linear amplifier is not just an audio power amp with some tweaks, which is what your circuit would look like if the original design didn't have so many problems of its own. Also, the layout of the schematic indicates that the creator has very little experience in circuit design. A schematic from a competent, experienced designer has order, structure, and a flow and cadence to it. This is amateur work by someone who has no idea what the task requires, and no experience. To be clear, this design cannot be salvaged. 150 W at 1 MHz isn't wide-band audio, it is a radio station. If I were you I would cut off all communication with him; further discussion reinforces the delusions that he is competent and that this design can be "fixed".

Note 2 - There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the really-wide-band-audio approach it you start with a functional circuit and track the many, many details of the things that have to change.

As a calibration point, here is a commercial product that might do what you want; not cheap:
https://www.arww-modularrf.com/post/KMA2040 [7-98-326-001C].pdf

ak

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Since this gig started a week ago the money is already being held by fiverr. The money will be given to the seller in 3 days if I don't dispute and win for this shit design. We are in the second stages because I did dispute based on what you guys were saying. And that worked. This idiot "revised" his circuit. Now I need to know if there is any reason I should be paying for this or if you guys can find flaws that can downright destroy this whole deal.
Good grief...

Please note on the 2N3055 data sheet, that the part is rated for a maximum Vce of 60 volts. It shouldn't take more than a brief glance at your schematic to realize that if the output of the amplifier is driven all the way to the positive rail, Q3 will have -55V on its emitter and +55 volts on its collector; conversely, if the amplifier output is driven all the way to the negative rail, Q5 will be in similar dire straits. The bottom line: destroyed transistors.

Doesn't your "designer" understand the concept of Maximum Ratings for electronic components? Where the bloody hell did they get this clown, anyhow????

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Not my strong suit, but --

I thought the primary of a Tesla coil was a resonant tank; you bang on it and it rings. Mechanical chopper, spark gap, etc. This will not work if the primary driver has a virtually zero-ohm source impedance.

ak

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Not my strong suit, but --

I thought the primary of a Tesla coil was a resonant tank; you bang on it and it rings. Mechanical chopper, spark gap, etc. This will not work if the primary driver has a virtually zero-ohm source impedance.

ak
I don't think it's a real Tesla coil. There are many "sparking" type circuits online saying tTesla, but in reality their not even close to one. The Slayer type circuit is one that is being called a Tesla, but isn't.