I needs someone with flight pilot experience to answer somethin!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I read this on normal everyday dangers. I made bold the part I didn't know and wanted to know more about.

You know those "backscatter" full-body X-ray machines at airport security gates? Europe banned them several months ago because of health concerns, but the machines are still in use in some airports in the States. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) says the amount of radiation emitted by each scan is minuscule, but independent research suggests the dose to some parts of the body is at least 45 times higher than the TSA claims and may even increase cancer risk, particularly for the elderly and women predisposed to breast cancer. Since you're already going to be exposed to radiation by flying, avoid the extra rays and ask for a pat-down, says John Sedat, Ph.D., a professor emeritus at the University of California, San Francisco.

Are we talking sun rays? Radar? Mag field made by turbines? What gives you radiation while flying?

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
That increased radiation at altitude is directly from the sun, whose effects are far more intense at cruise altitudes, up over 5 miles high where the air is much less dense, than at ground level.

I make this statement in my capcity as a desk-top flight sim "pilot" of many moons, who has over the years acquired just enough aviation knowledge to be dangerous in a real cockpit.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
You are exposed to cosmic radiation. These are very high energy electro-magnetic radiation.

It depends on how frequently you travel. For most people it is not a concern either way - flying vs X-ray body scanner.

If you are concerned, don't fly.

http://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-know/NEED-radiation.html
I don't get into anything I can punch the pilot out and take control if I have too. I don't mind dieing in a car or plane crash but I wanna be at the wheel/yoke to have some sort of chance.