I need to reduce the speed of my motor.

pfdkep

Joined Jan 6, 2023
I put a 2HP, 3450 rpm, single phase, type "B", 18/9 amp motor onto my cement mixer and it spins at too high a speed and just pins the mix to the inside of the mixer. I feel like if I slow it down it would be fine. Is there a simple way to do this? One note, I do have a 1HP 3450 single phase 16/8 amp. motor, but I don't know if this would change much. I'm no electrician and would appreciate very much any help!! Thanks!

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The motor speed is most likley controlled by the mains frequency so it will best to mechanically gear it down to slow the drum. That also decreases the strain on the motor.
How is the motor mechanically driving the mixer?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
1ph 2HP, 3450 rpm, Motors do not control well, the simplest way would be to replace the 2pole motor with a 4 pole, this reduces the RPM by half without reducing power.

pfdkep

Joined Jan 6, 2023
The motor speed is most likley controlled by the mains frequency so it will best to mechanically gear it down to slow the drum. That also decreases the strain on the motor.
How is the motor mechanically driving the mixer?
A pulley belt and a drum pulley about 12" diameter.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Changing to a two inch pulley will take the speed down to 2/3 of what it is presently. Smaller than 2 inches will be hard on the belt. One possible scheme will be a countershaft with 2 pulleys, perhaps an 8 inch and then a second 3 inch pulley. A cement mixer is a long way different from a drill press.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If y
1ph 2HP, 3450 rpm, Motors do not control well, the simplest way would be to replace the 2pole motor with a 4 pole, this reduces the RPM by half without reducing power
Max.
Thank you!
Also if you put the motor up for sale on the local Market site, it would offset the cost of the 4 pole ver.