I need to know what kind of switch to use for a turn signal.

sebasluna

Joined Jun 20, 2019
We are building a solar car it needs to have turn signals for when its on the race track so we are following this schematic( attached file). only is problem is we obviously do not have a actual turn switch so I need to know what kind of switch to use here, and how to wire it up.

Attachments

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Are there any auto salvage yards at your location? They should be able to give you an ideal replacement. It may be an over-the-counter transaction if you call ahead.

sebasluna

Joined Jun 20, 2019
... Are there any auto salvage yards at your location? They should be able to give you an ideal replacement. It may be an over-the-counter transaction if you call ahead.
well the problem is that this is a built from scratch car and frame, Im not sure if we could mount the switch properly.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
that circuit is pretty simple. That turn signal lever just sends the grounding signal to the relay 86. You could use any kind of toggle switch mounted on dash. I guess ON-OFF-ON is what you need and get the nice metal labels for LEFT-OFF-RIGHT. Or you could have 1 ON-OFF for each side.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK-Switches/M2013SS1W01?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvudeGI7i40XNH9qG76fRIbqeC5StZ1agM=

Here is an example I pulled up where it looks like someone else had the same idea Maybe the button is for a horn. Not sure.

Attachments

Last edited:
For vintage vehicles, I think you can buy turn signal switches that strap to the steering column if you have one.

There are also auto canceling systems that use accelerometer.

What makes things messy is when the turn signals are the brake lights and you incorporate hazzard lights.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
That circuit seems to be a little overcomplicated. I don't think you really need to use two 40 amp relays for a turn signal circuit. Or any relays at all for that matter. I do agree with the SPDT switch. Make sure it is rated properly and wire it up without the realys. Google chevrolet turn signal circuit from the 70s and 80s and you will see what I mean.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Since you have to have turn signals I'm assuming you also have to have working brake lights too. Will they be separate lights or will they be combined with the turn signals? If you are combining the brake and turn on single lights then this would probably be the easiest way to go.
Definitely loose the relays. Although they won't draw a whole lot of power any power savings on a solar powered unit is worth looking in to. If you are using LED lights they definitely are overkill.