I need to know digitally when something physical is broken!

THughes

Joined May 27, 2010
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me.

I am planning a project and for it to work I need to be able to know the second when something, I don't know - lets say a clay pot has been physically broken.

I'm thinking maybe something like a electronic pulse or some kind of very thin film inside throughout the pot?

If anyone knows of anything like this please let me know.

Thanks.

Tayler Hughes

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Ok.. If there is a more obvious or different way, I cant think of it, so here is my idea:

You could use something like "wire glue". A conductive glue that could run a few "wires" up and down the inside of the vase. Run a signal through each "wire".

When one or all of the signals are broken, you can trigger...anything you want.

It would be just like cutting a wire or using a normally-closed switch to sound an alarm or trigger a RF signal.

You could also use video. A complex software program would be required to "notice" a change in the shape.

THughes

Joined May 27, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I am going to create some prototypes with the conductive glue and a wire net idea coupled with a shock sensor. I am hoping that combining the two with a good enough program to understand the data from the sensors I, should be able to create what I am aiming for!

Thanks again.

Tayler Hughes

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The shock sensor may give false positives if there is shock and no breakage. But you could use the shock sensor to trigger the "scanning" of the glue break sensors, rather than having current running through the glue wires continuously.