I need to find a sensor for water pesticides

Palabog

Joined Jan 22, 2021
Hi, i have to make a project about a sensor that can detect and measure pesticides in water. The thing is that it needs to be an existing one in the market and that can detect a pesticide in particular like ddt or Chlorpyrifos. I couldn't find anything on the internet. Can you help me about this?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi, i have to make a project about a sensor that can detect and measure pesticides in water. The thing is that it needs to be an existing one in the market and that can detect a pesticide in particular like ddt or Chlorpyrifos. I couldn't find anything on the internet. Can you help me about this?
I believe GC-Mass spectrophotometry is the current method. Of course you need to calibrate using standards but the method is then incredibly sensitive.

I wouldn't call GC-MS a "sensor". Were you hoping for something like a pH probe that gives continuous readings of the solution? I cannot imagine any such sensor for low levels of pesticides. There just isn't enough of them to give much signal.

If you're talking about concentrated solutions, that's entirely different. You might be able to use things like inline spectrophotometry, refractive index, or other methods. These may work at percent levels, not ppt or ppt levels.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Do you want to detect organphpsphates or halogenated pesticides like DDT that are not organphosphates?

It seems a bit odd that for a school project you are told it must be a commercial detector, but you are not told which one. Is the educational purpose how to use Google or Amazon?

Of course GC-MS and/or LC-MS are goto instruments for research and serious studies. I get the sense you are looking for something less expensive. Ordinary GLC can be quite sensitive, particularly when coupled with a halogen, phosphorus, or nitrogen specific detector(s) -- depending on what you want to detect. They also provide reasonable identification, but not as specific as MS. Lots of papers on that subject and commercial instruments are available.

At a student level, have you considered seeing whether a typical halogen detector, as used for testing refrigeration systems, will work?