I Need some help

lasitha1984

Joined Nov 5, 2008
i want to extract data (from a satellite receiver) via an rs 232 interface (known as the debug port of the satellite receiver), using a ATMEL microprocessor.
this rs 232 port can be connected to the PC and the debug messages can be viewed using the hyper terminal. is there any way to read those data using an ATMEL microprocessor and save to a memory?

gvr_p

Joined Nov 5, 2008
i want to extract data (from a satellite receiver) via an rs 232 interface (known as the debug port of the satellite receiver), using a ATMEL microprocessor.
this rs 232 port can be connected to the PC and the debug messages can be viewed using the hyper terminal. is there any way to read those data using an ATMEL microprocessor and save to a memory?
ur questions are something crazy
which atmel processor u r using means 51 core or avr core and its specific name
but one thing is connecting rs232 port of PC then you can interface to the uc. but some level converters are needed could you write in detail of ur project

lasitha1984

Joined Nov 5, 2008
Thanks for your reply. ok, I'll explain it. our project is to develop a device that monitors the channels viewed by the satellite tv viewers (channel number and tha time). that is, the proposed device is connected to the domestic satellite tv receiver (Set top box) at each and every house.
The only interface we can use for this connecting purpose is the rs 232 interface of the set top box. this interface is currently used as a debug port and we can read this interface using 'hyper terminal' by connecting to a pc. but in our case there wont be any pc and we have to read the rs232 interface using a microcontroller (ATmega 128) and then sort data and write to a eeprom.
hope you'll get an idea about this. please ask for any clarifications if needed. so, is there any way of archiving my proposed task? thank you, hope to here you soon.

Alberto

Joined Nov 7, 2008
First of all you need a maxim232 to interface the micro to the RS232 (see maxim datasheet). Than you have to write code for your micro to do exactly what you did with hyperterminal. Data received from the satellite could be sent to a LCD for a direct readout or stored in the internal memory for future use.

Al.

avinash_g

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi
Ya you can make that project easily only you need to understand the RS232 commuincation.

As Alberto said you need a level converter I have written a detailed tutorial on that (Today!). You can check it out here

:)

http://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-tutorials/rs232-communication-the-level-conversion/

Actually it is second part (more to follow) of my tutorial on RS232 communication with AVR.

See the first part here

http://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-tutorials/rs232-communication-the-basics/

Hopes it Helps;)