I need some help to understand this circuit(AC power meter)

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
I thought that since I was starting to program AVR chips this would be a nice project. Its an ac power meter, but I dont understand how it would work.
I have a clamp meter that measures current. I measure the current the multiply by 120, or what ever voltage the appliance is rated for.
This circuit uses opto isolators and op amps.
Can someone explain how this circuit works, well just the measuring part.

I just found one more circuit, both are based on the same previous circuit."Optical Isolator Computes Watts”

Last edited:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I think this is a very interesting design to use as a platform for learning to handle the hardware and software of the AVR microcontrollers.

I have a significant amount of experience in AVR design and will be happy to assist you with any questions you have about its application.

hgmjr

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
Thats great!
I just ordered a dragon to program the chips. I hope it comes before Friday, I start my summer job Monday(its only from 9am-3pm) so I want to try it out while im without any time limits.

I tried to recreate this circuit in multisim. I only did the opto isolators, opamps and adc. But I need some help with the adc. For the clock, what is the frequency?

Also I get 170v at first opamp. Is this a simulator error or did I do something wrong?

Last edited: