I need help to find out balancing current & dissipative resistor value for my lithium ion battery

sundarisamy

Joined Jul 18, 2018
i want to do passive balancing for 10 series connected lithium ion battery cell each having a voltage of 4.2V and 3350mAh capacity. I don't know how to calculate balancing current and dissipative resistor value in order to design my passive balancing system.Could you please help me in that.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for that, but the schematic just raises more questions. Is the charger a constant voltage type with a 2A capacity, or a constant current at 2A with a 57.4V capacity?
Why would you bypass a cell at 3.8V when it's supposed to charge to 4.2V? Is the cell supposed to continue charging at a reduced current once it reaches 3.8V?
When a cell enters bypass mode, what is the target current in the battery?
The choice of the resistor will be "easy" once the details of what you want to do are nailed down.

sundarisamy

Joined Jul 18, 2018
Thanks a lot for your response. Iam using a lithium ion battery. I need to charge it at CCCV(Constant Current Constant Voltage) mode. Only charging time I am doing passive balancing and at the end of charging all the cell voltage should be 4.2V. My battery nominal voltage is 3.8V, maximum voltage is 4.2V & minimum voltage is 2.5V.
Upto nominal voltage its in CC mode after that it enters CV mode & current starts reducing. I need to find out the current flowing through the balancing resistor also.I will let you know the target current in the battery. Thank you.