I need help finding a ferrite E core?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
I need to find where I can get a ferrite laminate E core or an EI core that has a 3/4" center leg, and a 3" inside width and height.

Does anyone know where I can find a core this size?

Last edited:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You used both terms: "laminate" and "ferrite." They are not the same.

For a core as big as the one you describe, it will have to be a laminated core. You might be better off buying the sheet material and fabricating your own.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
As a rule, ferrite cores are not laminated -laminations in iron cores are there to reduce eddy currents, ferrite cores are less conductive and therefore (as far as I know) do not need to be built up with laminated sheets.

In your search, it might be helpful to know what kind of characteristics you need from the core. If you know the core material type, you are all set. Otherwise, you will need to spend some time with a catalog.

In the old days, I used the get large cores like that from Magnetics Inc and Ferroxcube.

www.mag-inc.com
www.ferroxcube.com

Both companies have online catalogs, application notes, and design information.

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Laminate and Ferrite are different! OK, I guess you learn something new every day. I think you are right about cutting my own. that sounds like a good idea. As far as material, I'm looking for # 61.

Where do you get laminate???

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Laminate and Ferrite are different! OK, I guess you learn something new every day. I think you are right about cutting my own. that sounds like a good idea. As far as material, I'm looking for # 61.

Where do you get laminate???
Stamped steel laminated E-cores are generally made with fixed size ratios; the goal is to minimize waste during the stamping process. That may initially sound silly, but not when mass production costs are involved.

Laminated stamped-steel E-cores are generally used at pretty low frequencies. If you're planning on using your transformer/inductor in the range of 40-500Hz or so, laminated E-cores would be a good way to go. If you're looking more towards broadband transformers (up to the MHz range) then look at powdered iron or ferrite cores. You might consider toroidal cores as well.

You mention "#61"; without a specific manufacturer reference, the numbers by themselves are meaningless. Each manufacturer has their own formulations for their materials, and their own reference numbers for those formulations.

Amidon is another supplier that doesn't mind small orders:
https://www.amidoncorp.com/

It would help us to help you more if we had a better idea of just what you're trying to do, and at what frequency range.

Last edited: