i need a diagram

Thread Starter

conniejean42

Joined May 31, 2005
5
i need a general diagram of a [house],,,, [electrical],,, i have power thru out most of the home except bedroom/bathroom by garage,hallway by garage ,one wall outlet in kitchen, bathroom wall outlet, every once in a while light in bathroom comes on-------any ideas? ty, cj
 

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
353
Hey Conniejean42,

Can you be more specific on whats wrong and what your house looks like. Do you have any electrical outlets at all in your bedroom(you should if you pass NEC code) or do they just not have power? If you can make a house layout in paint and attach it on that would help use out in helpin ya :). thx l8er

-fire
 

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
5,073
Originally posted by conniejean42@May 31 2005, 09:27 PM
i need a general diagram of a [house],,,, [electrical],,, i have power thru out most of the home except bedroom/bathroom by garage,hallway by garage ,one wall outlet in kitchen, bathroom wall outlet, every once in a while light in bathroom comes on-------any ideas? ty, cj
[post=8103]Quoted post[/post]​
Has this always been the case, or is this a new problem? (Do you want to add a circuit, or troubleshoot one?)

If this problem has cropped up recently, it might be due to a connection that has become loose. It might be several other things.

Is this a European house (220V) or American (240/120)?

Also - are you familiar with electrical safety protocols as they apply to premisis wiring?
 

Thread Starter

conniejean42

Joined May 31, 2005
5
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Jun 1 2005, 07:34 AM
Has this always been the case, or is this a new problem? (Do you want to add a circuit, or troubleshoot one?)

If this problem has cropped up recently, it might be due to a connection that has become loose. It might be several other things.

Is this a European house (220V) or American (240/120)?

Also - are you familiar with electrical safety protocols as they apply to premisis wiring?
[post=8112]Quoted post[/post]​
american,,,new ,was working fine,,i'm very careful,,lol dont mind the zap so much its the come down that i hate//sry ,i dont mean to joke ,i know its serious stuff
 

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
15,808
Hi,

Interesting problem. The NEC gives a protocol for how things should be done in a house, but it places no constraint on the electrician as to how to arrange the wiring. Every house can be different.

If you're in a spec house, you can count on the wiring being done pretty minimally. Meaning lots of loads on every breaker. In fact, with flakey power, finding the associated breaker can be a challenge.

Libraries generally have handyman books by Popular Science. You might want to see if yours has the one on house wiring - it will give you some idea of what ought to be there. That and an investment in a neon bulb tester might get you started. If you're lucky, it's just a loose wire on the breaker.
 

Thread Starter

conniejean42

Joined May 31, 2005
5
Originally posted by beenthere@Jun 8 2005, 06:27 PM
Hi,

Interesting problem. The NEC gives a protocol for how things should be done in a house, but it places no constraint on the electrician as to how to arrange the wiring. Every house can be different.

If you're in a spec house, you can count on the wiring being done pretty minimally. Meaning lots of loads on every breaker. In fact, with flakey power, finding the associated breaker can be a challenge.

Libraries generally have handyman books by Popular Science. You might want to see if yours has the one on house wiring - it will give you some idea of what ought to be there. That and an investment in a neon bulb tester might get you started. If you're lucky, it's just a loose wire on the breaker.
[post=8337]Quoted post[/post]​
ty very much thats a great idea, lol forgot all about our library
 

pinball8

Joined Jun 12, 2005
16
Originally posted by conniejean42@Jun 8 2005, 10:49 PM
ty very much thats a great idea, lol forgot all about our library
[post=8345]Quoted post[/post]​
If something is intermittent, ie. blinking on and off a random it means there is oxidation and/or dirt between the contacts of a switch or circuit breaker, (or fuse). This can mean that the electricity is arcing. Arcing is like lightning. It causes fires. You must find the source of the problem before you use that circuit again. Do you have fuses or circuit breakers?
 

Thread Starter

conniejean42

Joined May 31, 2005
5
Originally posted by pinball8@Jun 12 2005, 12:46 AM
If something is intermittent, ie. blinking on and off a random it means there is oxidation and/or dirt between the contacts of a switch or circuit breaker, (or fuse). This can mean that the electricity is arcing. Arcing is like lightning. It causes fires. You must find the source of the problem before you use that circuit again. Do you have fuses or circuit breakers?
[post=8437]Quoted post[/post]​

now you have my undivided attention,, circuit breakers, we had edison come out and they say everything in the box is fine ,,which left two things [in my mind ] to check ,,,out lets or wiring inside of the wall ,,,now plez understand i'd luv to be able to just call an electrician,but the woman who's house it is ,,,is 76 fixed income and if she cant pay you or feed you she will make do without,,that out of the way ,if i seem to be stumbling around this lol its b/c i am,,,so i did the best i could checking the outlets and i got some good readings some not so good readings and we changed two of the outlets put in new ones which were not at all like the ones we took out,,,i figure if i take a pic of the cotton picking outlet maybe the guy at home depot wont look at me so strangely i do appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my [delema?]
 

Thread Starter

conniejean42

Joined May 31, 2005
5
Originally posted by pinball8@Jun 12 2005, 12:46 AM
If something is intermittent, ie. blinking on and off a random it means there is oxidation and/or dirt between the contacts of a switch or circuit breaker, (or fuse). This can mean that the electricity is arcing. Arcing is like lightning. It causes fires. You must find the source of the problem before you use that circuit again. Do you have fuses or circuit breakers?
[post=8437]Quoted post[/post]​

now you have my undivided attention,, circuit breakers, we had edison come out and they say everything in the box is fine ,,which left two things [in my mind ] to check ,,,out lets or wiring inside of the wall ,,,now plez understand i'd luv to be able to just call an electrician,but the woman who's house it is ,,,is 76 fixed income and if she cant pay you or feed you she will make do without,,that out of the way ,if i seem to be stumbling around this lol its b/c i am,,,so i did the best i could checking the outlets and i got some good readings some not so good readings and we changed two of the outlets put in new ones which were not at all like the ones we took out,,,i figure if i take a pic of the cotton picking outlet maybe the guy at home depot wont look at me so strangely i do appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my [delema?]
 

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
5,073
Originally posted by pinball8@Jun 12 2005, 12:46 AM
If something is intermittent, ie. blinking on and off a random it means there is oxidation and/or dirt between the contacts of a switch or circuit breaker, (or fuse). This can mean that the electricity is arcing. Arcing is like lightning. It causes fires. You must find the source of the problem before you use that circuit again. Do you have fuses or circuit breakers?
[post=8437]Quoted post[/post]​
While contact oxidation at the breakers could be the problem, soo too could loose or oxidized wirenuts in junction boxes, or physically damged wires, or a physically damaged outlet or switch.

Any arcing will trip the breaker in question. Dirt and corrosion typically do not cause arcing. Dirt and corrosion can cause heat.



Conniejean: I suggest contacting the IBEW hall nearest you. Tell them about the senior citizen and her problem. Many IBEW local halls keep close track of various programs to help out such folk. (Its a PR thing, you see.)
 
Top