i need a binary or ring counter schematic

leonheard

Joined Jan 8, 2013
hi!

i want to make a ring counter or binary counter ( sequential ) all analog cuz i want to learn to do it myself.... so i dont want ic chips, but i didnt find any simple schematics in internet

can u help me and give me some help?

thanks

ps.

i know how to make a bistable multivibrator and monostable and astable if it helps :p

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
If you know how to make a bistable (also known as a Flip-Flop), binary counters use the output of one to trigger (toggle) the next. Ring counters use an external clock common to all FFs and each assumes the state of the one before it upon application of the clock.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you know how to make a bistable (also known as a Flip-Flop), binary counters use the output of one to trigger (toggle) the next. Ring counters use an external clock common to all FFs and each assumes the state of the one before it upon application of the clock.
The flip-flop is a particular type of bistable (the latch is another). You need a clock triggered flip-flop to build a ring counter.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
hi!

i want to make a ring counter or binary counter ( sequential ) all analog cuz i want to learn to do it myself.... so i dont want ic chips, but i didnt find any simple schematics in internet

can u help me and give me some help?

thanks

ps.

i know how to make a bistable multivibrator and monostable and astable if it helps :p
A flip-flop is little more than a bistable multivibrator.

I think your goal of making it all as an analog design is going to miss the mark. You don't have to build a circuit with no ICs in order to gain a firm understanding of how such a circuit woiuld work. And why stop at the "no ICs" rule. Why should you use resistors and capacitors and transistors that someone else manufactured instead of making your own?

Instead, start with a primitive set of components (say resistors, capacitors, and transistors) and say to yourself, "Okay, I understand the fundamentals of resistors and capacitors well enough that I could build my own if I really had to, but it would take a long time and I would spend so much time building resistors and capacitors that I would run out of time to learn anything else. So I'll accept those as a starting point. As for the transistors... well, yeah, I know that you can make them at home in your oven, but I don't want to go there. I will accept those as a starting point provided I know how to use them in a circuit to achieve what I want."

With those primatives, build yourself up layer by layer. Use those components to make a NAND gate and so that you are completely comfortable with how and why it works. But after that, use a quad-NAND IC knowing that, if you had to, you could implement each NAND gate using the prior layer of primitive parts. Now use the NAND gates to make the other basic logic gates and then use those to make some basic latches and flip-flops and then use those to make your ring counters. At each stage you are using a library of components that are just slightly more primative than the level you are currently working at. But since you built that library from a set of even slightly more primitive building blocks and so on you will have a level of understanding that would always allow you to build it out of the most basic components without having to actually do so -- and there are lots of good, practical reasons not to actually do so.