I intend to buy one of these

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
With 3/4 of them still on the road and being out of production for 30+ years, finding parts is going to be fun. The closer you can find to pristine condition the better.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
With 3/4 of them still on the road and being out of production for 30+ years, finding parts is going to be fun. The closer you can find to pristine condition the better.
Its a GMC which means it's really a chevy. There are so many GMC, GM , and chevy parts around I don't think it be an issue. I'd even bet it has a chevy truck engine in it. Like the GMC JIMMY or Chevy whatever.

This is quoted on Wiki
"Several companies specialize in parts for GMC motorhomes, and the strong community has developed a substantial cottage industry for needed replacement and modernization parts. Most parts are still available from GMC or aftermarket suppliers who support muscle-car-era Oldsmobiles, or from suppliers dedicated to specialized GMC parts production."

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, maxpower you beat me to it. Many of these have been restored to pristine condition. Their owners are like owners of other classis vehicles, they treat them like their babies.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Thanks, but it's a bit more than just a rolling museum. It's simply one of the best motorhome lines ever produced, and surely the best styled. That's why the vast majority are still on the road, more than 40 years after the fact. Modern motorhomes aren't built to last, and they are da*n expensive. I intend to use it when I go to the lake in the summer, and if I have to go out of town for work. There is a possibility I will be living away from home, and I would use it to keep my expenses down. At least, that's my excuse :)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks, but it's a bit more than just a rolling museum. It's simply one of the best motorhome lines ever produced, and surely the best styled. That's why the vast majority are still on the road, more than 40 years after the fact. Modern motorhomes aren't built to last, and they are da*n expensive. I intend to use it when I go to the lake in the summer, and if I have to go out of town for work. There is a possibility I will be living away from home, and I would use it to keep my expenses down. At least, that's my excuse :)
I don't see where you got an argument out of that. I'm just saying that it looks like a great piece of american history that you can own and use, and that I wish you luck in finding one. I'll keep my eyes open. ;)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
When I first discovered these a few years back, I really liked the styling. I didn't know they were old, and I had no idea there was such a community that supported them. I guess the historical aspect is just as cool as the style is. Recently, I was informed about an opportunity for a job that's out of my state. That's when I remembered how much I liked these vehicles. Also, I enjoy spending my summers at the lake, but it gets so hot in the mid-day. It seems a perfect time to start looking seriously for a well-restored unit. Also, I wonder if anyone knows of a shop what will remove the old, tired motor and replace it with a fresh one with a modern electronic control unit (ECU) It would be wonderful to have a motor that starts easily in all conditions and gets good economy in this chassis. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I know it's technically feasable.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
maxpower, are you the owner? His this vehicle been restored? What is the milage? Does everything work? I'm definitely interested.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I am serious about buying one of these, but I want one in excellent mechanical condition. That typically means one that has been restored. I dont' want another project, believe me I have enough. My concern is the price usually means it needs some work. I want someting ready to go. I just don't want to wast your time. Are you in Tampa?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Areodynamically, it's probably not that bad, considering the rounded nose and rear. I see many newer MH's that look to be much worse. It remindes me of the Airstream trailers ( they also made a few motorhomes ) It's constructed using the same methods as Airstream, which means it will last forever.