I hope you weren't planning on buying a used truck

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Ok, I found this truck. It's a '99 two ton with a good running 427 gas motor. I've been looking for a long time, and this is an exceptional deal. What do y'all think?

2 ton chevy truck.jpg

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Why are you wasting time on here asking our opinion? If it isn't stolen, it should have been bought on the spot.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Because it's the middle of the night, and I have to make arrangements to drive the 4 hours to western Kentucky just to look at it up close.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Good guess, and Chevrolet made it.
To me it's 6's and can go either way. Could cost per ton in money if the trans has issues; plus,
suspension, steering, and drive train and rear end aren't almost shot.

It's all about freeway vs. in town. In town gets hit the hardest.

kv

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Because it's the middle of the night, and I have to make arrangements to drive the 4 hours to western Kentucky just to look at it up close.
oh, sorry. For some reason I made the assumption that you'd just come back from looking at it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
oh, sorry. For some reason I made the assumption that you'd just come back from looking at it.
Sorry, i posted this reply too early in the morning and it was a half-thought. I should have said:

For some reason I made the assumption that you'd just come back from looking at it, and verified there's nothing major wrong with it. At that price, it makes me suspicious. I would tell the seller the seller my situation (i live 4hrs away, and will need to take a day off of work to come see it, and spend $100 in gas to get there) and ask them to disclose any issues that they know of. It would be a shame to drive out there for a polished turd. Seems there's no shortage of people who post a vehicle for sale and not disclose the issues; i guess their hopes are that you will fall in love with it before you see it, and then when you get there and find the issues, your emotions will motivate the purchase anyway. But I think most people would fess up if they knew what your expectations are and how much of an investment you must make to see it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
That appears to be a 1999 GMC Topkick. On Truckpaper.com, I find in a nationwide search of 1999 topkicks: minimum price @ 13,995, maximum price @ $52,400. At $3500, that's a discount of 75% off of the minimum nationwide price and it raises a huge red flag to me. I would bet that, at best, if it runs, it's stolen. And at worst, it doesn't even exist and it's a scam or an ambush.

I looked around for scrap value of vehicles on the net and came up with various figures ranging from $150 to $220/ton. I searched for curb weight of a GMC topkick and came up with 11,300lbs. That truck is probably worth $1,100 to $1,300 in scrap metal value. The cost of the tires on it probably makes up the difference between the asking price and the scrap value.

Be Careful! I know that incredible once-in-a-lifetime deals do exist, but they are eclipsed in quantity by scams and fraud.

EDIT: in light of the minimum of $13,995 I found, could we be dealing with a typo here (on the seller's part)?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
EDIT: in light of the minimum of $13,995 I found, could we be dealing with a typo here (on the seller's part)?
Nice catch. It would then justify a proper asking price. But; still in town stuff is scary when you think of putting money into it down the road.

I got a Truck from my father looked clean and sturdy; five months later I only put 500miles on her; I had to put $4000 in to it. It still has issues that I don't want to repair. Front end is shot and the engine leaks oil and anti-freeze.

It was a give away 136k on the Truck; Ford F-250 460c/in. 4x4 King Cab. It's far from the junk yard but; it's going to cost me a bundle to put her back together; and that won't even account the for miles on the engine once the frame, drivetrain, steering have all been gone through.

Don't know how I would feel if I actually gave him money for it. Most likely buyers remorse; just because I need a truck on occasion.

kv

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
At this price, I would be fine spending up to $4 - 6k for repairs and upgrades if I knew I could get a good truck out of it that would last me at least the next 10 years. The purpose would be to transport my 40' trailer and a few creature comforts to the various jobs I work all across the country, and after I retire, to pull the same rig to national parks and such. My requirement at this point is to be able to drive it out and know I will eventually have a killer truck after having any repairs made. Even if I eventually had to replace the engine, I can find a remanufactured long block for $2500, not too bad. Anyway, I'be been talking to the owner, and the truck has a clean title and is supposedly in working order. And, I did ask abou the price, and it's not a misprint.

I've though of a few more questions to ask before going out, and I'm gonna call again today. If all looks good, I'll drive out tomorrow. The only problem is, as I said I need something that's completely restorable, I'm not the best at making that determination, and I can't take my mechanic with me.

@tracecom, I'm not sure, but I'll find out today.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Used trucks are up. Some say the Cash for Clunkers program contributed to the price increases. Beats me. I have a Yukon XL (2004 I think) I am looking to get rid of. Rust included absolutely free. 230,000 with strong running engine, new transmission and tires. Likely a good work truck for someone. The transmission has about 500 miles on it and that sucker was over 2K. Have it sitting in the driveway asking $2,500 but would take 2K. Less than that and I'll drive it another winter and give the newer trucks a break. :)
Anyway, yeah, trucks are up in price. Matters not as I just happen to like trucks. I like shooting and the trucks are perfect for range trips by the time you pack all the range gear. Also, we have two large dogs so vet trips go well. :)

Ron

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I drove the 350 miles to Paduca, Ky to see the truck, but I didn't bring it home. Although it was extremely clean for its age, there were some concerns I had about safely getting it home. It I had the time to get it checked out, I think it might have been a good deal, but I have to leave in 7 days to go to Minnesota for a 6 - 12 month contract. Guess I'll concentrate on getting my present rig to be the best it can be.

Still, it was a nice day trip with the wife.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I drove the 350 miles to Paduca, Ky to see the truck, but I didn't bring it home. Although it was extremely clean for its age, there were some concerns I had about safely getting it home. It I had the time to get it checked out, I think it might have been a good deal, but I have to leave in 7 days to go to Minnesota for a 6 - 12 month contract. Guess I'll concentrate on getting my present rig to be the best it can be.

Still, it was a nice day trip with the wife.
If you drove 72 west to 45 and then north, you passed very close to my house. My guess is that you went I65, however.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, I65 to I24. I tried looking up your route, but couldn't find highway 45.

Anyway, I'm still looking. I have to leave in a week to travel to Minnesota, where I'll be living for the next 6 - 12 mos. There are lots of nice trucks there, and I'll continue shopping. Right now, I have a problem; I can only transport my trailer or my car. So the plan is to take the trailer, and use public transportation (or my tow vehicle) for now. The other issue is, I want my boat too, as there are 10,000 lakes. That's a lot for a contractor to take, I am aware, but I consider these "creature comforts" that make my life more livable. In the two years I've been contracting, I haven't had any of my toys with me, including my Goldwing. So, I plan on making a change. I can either buy a truck, drive it all the way back to Alabama to get my stuff, or rent a truck and pack it full, including a boat and motorcycle. I'm still leaning towards buying at this point.