I have noticed I have soldered an IC holder the wrong way round, does it matter

donzle92

Joined Jun 12, 2011
When i look online i see some sites say to make sure you solder the IC holder the correct way round so when you insert the IC the notch on the IC holder and the notch on the IC line up. However if you are aware the IC holder is the wrong way round does it actually matter, matter if the IC holder is not the correct way round. The IC will still work as expect right?

I dont want to have to desolder the ic holder now because i think it will mess up the circuit a bit.

Any help would be appreciated

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You are aware of it now. The IC will work as expected, but when the time comes and you take the chip out and put it back in, you will most definitely put it back in the wrong way.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I would take some white paint and put a dot on the socket at pin 1, or some other way mark the socket so you will be reminded that the socket is rotated 180°.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Take a marking pen, such as white-out erase marker and put a dot on the board or the socket to remind you where is pin-1.

Edit: Shucks, tracecom can type faster than me.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
You are aware of it now. The IC will work as expected, but when the time comes and you take the chip out and put it back in, you will most definitely put it back in the wrong way.
That's when assemble people unaware just follow the assemble instructions and suddenly on startup....they see smoke.

kv

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
We've all done it. :)

You can use the soldering iron to melt a big notch at the right end. Not that I ever did that myself... cough... ;)