I have NO idea how anything works and I want to understand how to make stuff

Lightium

Joined Jun 6, 2012
Thanks Papabravo, I'll work on taking the rest of the components off of the board. After that I'll come back and post images of the salvaged components. There is also an old boat battery charger, would it be a bad idea to further disassemble it?
The old charger could make for a power supply, so leave it intaked unless your determined.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
An older battery charger will usually have a transformer and rectifier diodes of some kind, often in a case able to support them. These can be useful for constructing a power supply of some variety. Usually the case will serve to protect the transformer from physical damage, and so it is better to not take it farther apart.

bidrohini

Joined Jul 29, 2022
As stated above, I'm confused, and have an old PC motherboard laying around, and I want to make something out of the salvaged components. I've posted an image of the PCB that I have. The PC motherboard has lots of little capacitors, but I don't know how to them. For power, I have a handful of old 9v batteries and a few half dead AA batteries. I also disassembled an alarm clock, so I have a wall outlet plug. what could I make to help get me into electronical engineering?
There are already many good suggestions. You can see this too:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To make a small project from the old motherboard you could recover the audio output section, which includes the headphone connector, a small audio amplifier IC, and a few parts such as resistors and capacitors. Searching the board for those items will take some effort and patience. It will also require using an unsoldering tool.