I have book printed in 1953, {Not for Sale}

The Flavored Coffee Guy

Joined Nov 7, 2006
But, what I am wondering about is the Gutenberg Project.
Etiquette

It's a second year Vacuum Tube, electronics design issue. The title is 'Electronics' and the Author is John Wiley and sons Inc. What I was wondering about is the Copyright expired? Can anyone reprint it in an electronic format before it disintegrates?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Sadly you are in a very grey area here, and it is highly deoendant on the country in which the copyright is enforced; from what I can see this is governed under US copyright laws. Nowdays copyright exists for the life of the author plus 70 years, and this is pretty universal apart from a few examples; corporation copyright cases are one that springs to mind. Anything published prior to 1978 when the current laws came into existance, is open to interpretation on an individual basis. I would say that the copyright has not expired because it was published only 50-or-so years ago, but then we don't know the individual circumstances of this case.

Could you look at contacting John Wiley and Sons Inc, or whoever superseded them as the publisher? The other alternative is contacting the copyright owner directly, who may in fact be the heir to the copyright, not the original copyright owner.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I have looked on Google Book search and sadly that doesn't shed any light on the matter. Usually if they have a book that is still in Copyright, you only get a limited preview of the book.

Dave

The Flavored Coffee Guy

Joined Nov 7, 2006
I wrote to the company, and although their trademark is on my literature's binding, they really don't know what happened to the Author, or Copyright holder. Maybe, you can help me find Thomas B. Brown, who was a Professor at George Washington University? I don't know much about who to ask there, but it does look like an interesting paper chase. You do know that if he died without relatives, or has relatives, we will have to ask the heir to his estate. I will write to George Washington University.

I wish this was a paper clip, and tomorrow, I had a new home. Damn, I wish this was a job. You figure, even reprints are worth money to collectors, and collector editions, even if sold at bookstore prices, still make the publishers money on account of the hobbiest and enthusiast. From there, Gutenberg seems like a good load for an electronic copy. It could be my job...

Well, according to the school records, Thomas B. Brown, was one of the first faculty members of the Physics Department at George Washington University. His name is mentioned under the subtitle 'Alumni/ae Report' Physics Department Newsletter, December 1995

Guess I am going to have to ask.

Dear Mr. Flavored Coffee Guy:

After a thorough search of our records, we are unable to determine who the
current copyright holder of this material is. In the absence of such
information, we cannot grant permission for this use. We recommend that
you contact the author of this material for permission. Unfortunately we
have been unable to locate an address for the author in our records.

If you require additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Brad Johnson, Permissions Assistant John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 111 River
Street Hoboken, NJ 07030 Permissions – Mail Stop 4-02 Tel: 201.748.6786
Fax: 201.748.6008 bjohns@wiley.com

Visit our website @ www.wiley.com/go/permissions for permissions
information

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Well it appears that Thomas B. Brown was still around in the early 1960's; reference http://www.aapt.org/Grants/dscitations.cfm - he received an award from the American Association of Physics Teacher in 1961.

I have also traced the name "Thomas B. Brown" to a physics award awarded at Harvey Mudd College; reference http://www.dof.hmc.edu/catalogue04-05/Info_for_Applicants.html - the description is as follows:

Thomas B. Brown Memorial Award in Physics. This award is given each year by the physics faculty to the senior whose research they judge to be outstanding.
You could look at contact the Harvey Mudd College to see if they shed any light on your query.

Dave

But, what I am wondering about is the Gutenberg Project.
Etiquette

It's a second year Vacuum Tube, electronics design issue. The title is 'Electronics' and the Author is John Wiley and sons Inc. What I was wondering about is the Copyright expired? Can anyone reprint it in an electronic format before it disintegrates?
You say the Author is John Wiley & Son, that is the publisher. The authors are George F Corcoran and Henry W Price, University of Maryland. I have the second printing, revised April 1957, copyright 1954. I suggest you contact the publisher. The authors have to be in
there eighties! RGH:)

I looks like John Wiley had more than one book on Electronics!
Now that I've read Daves and the publishers comments, I'd say 'PRINT' showing all credits. Then if anybody complains you've made contact! I Stravinsky composed his version of 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' and performed it. He was almost immediately contacted by the OWNER. This was before the Internet! They liked it and let hime keep it. [This version was regularly used by WQXRFM for there Musical Bitrhday Personality program]

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I looks like John Wiley had more than one book on Electronics!
Now that I've read Daves and the publishers comments, I'd say 'PRINT' showing all credits. Then if anybody complains you've made contact! I Stravinsky composed his version of 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' and performed it. He was almost immediately contacted by the OWNER. This was before the Internet! They liked it and let hime keep it. [This version was regularly used by WQXRFM for there Musical Bitrhday Personality program]
True, but nowdays the contact would more likely be made by a solicitor! :rolleyes:

Dave

RuffianRascal

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Thank you for your reply. I know it's old. I wish I'd seen it when it was new! I was looking for information on my grandfather and came across it. I do not have any of his books, and that is why I was wondering if the book had been put online.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thing is, to ask questions, you need to register. It is easy to do and free.

Guests are allowed to post to provide feedback and corrections for the AAC book, the volumes of which can be found on the top of this page.

This book was written by my Grandfather, Thomas Benjamin Brown, and I was wondering if it had even been put online. I don't own any of his books, but will soon. I just ordered his "Foundations of Modern Physics" book from Amazon.