I Have An LED Flashing (Toner Symbol) on a RICOH FT 3713 Electrostatic Photocopier

1.5 v bat

Joined Mar 6, 2016
I tried to reset the computer/ semiconductors by shorting the 110v grounded male plug/cord. I now have the unit all apart. I am not a certified technician. I'm probably going to call them Monday. I pulled the toner assembly out. I watched several videos on you tube. Mr Taylor and others say this toner unit has to be totally emptied, cleaned, and re-assembled. I have not done that yet. I was just seeing if it's removal would make the light go out. I believe that after I clean the toner 4-roller assembly and replace it back into the machine, I will still have a blinking LED (toner symbol). I still have the flashing LED (toner symbol) . I believe that the computer's memory is not being electrically erased/reset. The RICOH FT 3713 has a total of 4 circuit boards. The AC input cord comes into the left rear of the machine and at it's connector, the white neutral wire changes to an orange wire. The AC household chord Black hot changes to blue inside the machine and splits into a total of 3 blue wires heading toward the machine's switch. No I do not have a schematic yet. The switch is spring loaded to the on position N/O (normally open)-momentary on. Just like the one on my computer. It is a rocker style switch like the ones you find in ambulance and tow trucks. The momentary-ON side of the switch is connected to a 16 AWG red and a thin red wire 24AWG? (I don't know the size) (let me Know). The other side of the machine's switch is the orange neutral mentioned above, a black 16AWG and another thin 24AWG white wire. I don't know how the switch works unless I take it off and "ring it out". I cannot physically trace where these wires disappear into the base of the machine. If I take this machine apart much further, I'll have way to many parts to keep track of. I saw a video on you-tube where a guy was turning the white plastic screw adjustment on VR102 of the green microprocessor board. But I'm not going to turn that screw till I at least study the power distribution to and between all the components and the 4 circuit boards and what each circuit board controls on the machine. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic for the RICOH FT 3713 ?

InspectorGadget

Joined Nov 5, 2010
Let me simplify it further: Just replace your toner cartridge.

The power inputs have nothing to do with the toner cartridge light. The flashing toner cartridge light is caused by the internal microprocessor when it senses that toner is getting low. It's telling you to replace the cartridge. You can either replace it or continue using it until the printing gets streaked or patchy. You can remove the toner cartridge and GENTLY shake it to redistribute toner and put it back in to see if it'll last longer.

If it won't print any more with the flashing toner cartridge light then you need a new toner cartridge.

You should never open a toner cartridge unless you crave trouble or punishment in your life. Some people refill toner cartridges, but a certain percentage of them have low quality printing or damage to their printer as a result of questionable replacement toner.

And NEVER try to "clean out" a toner cartridge. Most toner cartridges have built-in drums, and you will irreparably damage the drum if you touch it or even expose it.

Don't mess with the 110V wiring in the printer. It has nothing to do with the toner light flashing and you will only run the risk of electrocution or fire. Never try to "reset" an appliance by shorting the 110V input. It doesn't do any good. Turning off the appliance and letting it sit for 5 minutes will fully reset any power-dependent conditions inside.

1.5 v bat

Joined Mar 6, 2016
Last time I just poured toner into my old cartridge slot and it worked till just recently. -that had to be ~2004 A.D.
Last time the RICOH man told this machine's just about obsolete and could not get me the cartridge so he sold me a big canister of RICOH toner. -And I all ready filled the cartridge and tried that. It'll be they're problem Monday.

1.5 v bat

Joined Mar 6, 2016
Well I'll trace the circuit in the other direction (from the outputs to the AC input). My starting point will be the flashing LED (toner symbol) circuit board under the push-button control panel. One or two of those wires from that panel lead down to the sensor sensing a bad toner condition either on the main drum, or corona wires, or somewhere down there where the microscopic iron particles are covering the sensor.

Attachments

1.5 v bat

Joined Mar 6, 2016
Well that was pretty good, ya'll go me fired up and I Got the push button control-board out. -There's part of my schematics right there!
Wah-Hoo!

Attachments

1.5 v bat

Joined Mar 6, 2016
Some one else had this exact same problem I have and nobody replied to help them out.
imagerzone.com /Forums Pro/ view topic / +=13452.html