I have a Phillips Oscilloscope that when I connect to a signal generator, the screen starts to vibrate. Anyone know how to fix it?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have a Phillips Oscilloscope that when I connect to a signal generator, the screen starts to vibrate. Anyone know how to fix it?
Welcome to AAC!

Firstly, please post the model number of the Philips oscilloscope.

When you say "the screen starts to vibrate" do you mean the unit physically shakes?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
What frequency is the signal generator set to and what is the oscilloscope scan rate set to (uS per division.)? Is the oscilloscope set to trigger from the input channel ? Have you set the trigger level within the range of the input signal ? I am asking these questions on the assumption that it is an analogue oscilloscope.

Les.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Vibrate of jitter and I assume you are referring to the trace? Jitter can be caused by your trigger settings. You have not provided any details like time base settings and your trigger settings?

Ron

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Wich model of the philips oscilloscope do you have?
That way we can likely provide more info on the settings.

Bertus

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am guessing that it is not physically vibrating, but that the trace is moving up and down. That would be caused by some mains frequency getting in somehow.

OR it may be that what you are seeing is the signal wave form, with the scope working exactly as it is supposed to work.
So let us know the sweep rate setting and the signal generator setting.

Without a lot more information the very best you can possibly get is random guesses. Frequency, sweep rate, and generator settings. And how much electronics experience you have with scopes and generators.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
How are the scope and generator powered? If they are powered by mains supply, are they connected to the same electrical distribution circuit and are they both grounded to the same power ground?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
No response yet. And really, if the frequency is set very low, it will look like the screen is bouncing. We don't know what sort of technician the TS is, or how experienced in scope use.