I do NOT have a Hulu, Roku, Vudu... television. Do you ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Perhaps I will need to buy a new television soon.
Which model has an (internet) BROWSER ? Years ago, Samsung had a "Smart hub" browser thingy I do not see advertised any more.
I do not care a bit about Hulus nor Rokus. I only care about a browser, an ethernet connection and perhaps an updatable firmware.
Which would you suggest around 40 inches ?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Ditto. Samsung 42" SMART has browser. I even attached a wireless Logitech keyboard to it. I use it rarely. It hasn't been turned on in at least 2 months.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
My alltime favorite manufacturer for all entertainment or display products is Samsung.
Max.
The manufacturer that, according to rumors, listened all your conversations at home through their smart TV?

In my case, I feel safe; I have no TV and in these quarantine times I speak only to the fridge and the washing machine (while the stupid microwave doesn't deign to even talk to me). My washing machine insists in explaining it is broken.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi Agustín.
A good opportunity to fix it. It is fun playing with washing machines, the gringas have the schematic inside. But beware, later you will have none to listen it is broken.
Post the model and symptom.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
My alltime favorite manufacturer for all entertainment or display products is Samsung.
Indeed, Samsung seems to be the new Sony in the market these days. The one I have is a few years old and came to us when my son was doing a college summer job at Circuit City and our Sony CRT TV finally died. Even then Samsung had the best TVs on the market both for price and quality. We don't use Roku or such but it is connected to the internet for Hulu, Utube, Amazon Prime Movies, Netflix, etc. Apparently it is all built-in now and addressable with the remote control. We do also have a Blu-Ray/CD player attached and a high-end Denson Surround Sound system with sub-woofer. The Denson was a throw-away my son brought home from Circuit City that I repaired for almost nothing so an expensive freebie.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My nephew bought me a ROKU. I plugged it into my outdoor antenna and refused to tell it the password for my router. Can it still report what I say?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I bought a cheap 24" Sceptre TV ($91)to use with a Roku. The sound was so awful I thought I was going to have to return the TV, but it has an earphone out that saved the day. As for the Roku, I love it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I bought a cheap 24" Sceptre TV ($91)to use with a Roku.
The advantage with going cheap, you generally get a new TV every 2 or 3 years, when it quits, usually un-repairable/un-econmic to repair.! o_O
For good TV audio, get a Bose sound bar.
Max.

Last edited:

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Went to a Target store today.
The TV expert could not demonstrate me a 'RokuTV' on browsing mode because their demonstration TVs had no access to internet; and, if they had it, he said the browser itself has to be "downloaded" onto the TV :rolleyes:
I do not know how the Roku thingy works if they have no internet access at their demonstration wall...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The only thing a TV has to have is a HDMI input. To a Roku, a monitor and a TV are the same. I really regret with my new TV as it has really, really bad sound quality. Moving my computer speakers mostly fixed that since the TV had headphones out. I have put new ones on order. Roku's only have a HDMI out, and use USB for power. All other controls are in the standardized remote. Interestingly the sound is in the HDMI cable and HDMI can turn the TV on/off. Wish the Roku had a number keypad or browser. My Remote can be controlled w/ speech.

Last edited:

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks.
A 'RokuTV' has the feature built-in; no external hardware dongle gadget to buy nor to be fed into HDMI as far as I know. The port the TV must have is ethernet as I do not want WiFi.

I do not want Roku nor Netflix nor Amazon nor Hulu nor any program subscription of the dozens available. I only want the internet browser. IF a RokuTV has such, and am forced to it, I will swallow it, pass trough the funnel and get one, to use only the browser.

Last edited:

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
I have a TV that runs a youtube browser. Actually, I think it runs on the set-top box. The interface with the remote control is so bad that it's not worth using. The same will probably be true for a normal browser. If you can't use it with a wireless keyboard or similar it will be a pain.