I cant get this common cathode tri colour led to switch on

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am trying to switch on a common anode LED as per the inserted diagram. Having no luck and cant see what I am doing wrong

I would also really like to know how to get an image to show in the message panel and not as an attachment

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Does it light when you bypass the transistors and base resistors, and just use the battery, current limiting resistor and LED?

Even though your schematic isn't labeled, I presume that you are connecting the positive of the battery to the anode of the LED. Correct?

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
It does light when I put the positive on the common Cathode ad the current limiting resitor to the Anode and the negative.

I am connecting the positive of the battery to the anode of the LED

The 3 LED's in my diagram are the tri colour LED with a common Cathode.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Sorry its common CATHODE

I am connecting the positive to the common cathode and then from a resistor to the negative it lightds

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Oh. That explains it. Positive goes to the anode.

You apparently are confusing the anode and cathode. The cathode is respresented by the cross bar at the point of the arrow.

Last edited:

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am really confusing EVERYTHING

The TRI Colour LED is common Anode

When I put the positive on the common Anode and then through a current limiting resistor to each of the cathodes the individual LED's light.

But I can not get it to switch through the transistor

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am really confusing EVERYTHING

The TRI Colour LED is common Anode

When I put the positive on the common Anode and then through a current limiting resistor to each of the cathodes the individual LED's light.

But I can not get it to switch through the transistor
So, the battery is good.
The LED is good.
The schematic is correct.

Possiblities are:
1. bad transistors - unlikely
2. wiring error - likely
a. Looking at the front flat of the transistor, the legs are e, b, c.
b. Switch could be wired wrong. Try eliminating the switch.

Post what you find.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I now have a situation stranger than fiction! The circuit is working If I Use a 10K or 1 K resistor it switches the LED on. BUT, if i touch either side of the bsase resistor it switches on as well.and all that is happening is the touch of my finger is enough to get it to switch on

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
It sounds like the transistors are acting as amplifiers and making it almost touch sensitive. Also to answer your question regarding how to get images on posts. Click the image button and then type in the link where the image is located. You must host the image elsewhere for this option. Otherwise to host on the forum then you need to use the attach option I believe.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Your touch is likely coupling AC to the base of the transistor and switching it on. You can see it on an oscilloscope when you touch the probe.

Glad you got it working. What was the problem?

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
There were a couple of things. Firstly I had a brake in the jumper cable on my Breadboard. And I had the transistor the wrong way. I am yet to buy an osciloscope, How does my touch couple AC and how can I stop it.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
There were a couple of things. Firstly I had a brake in the jumper cable on my Breadboard. And I had the transistor the wrong way. I am yet to buy an osciloscope, How does my touch couple AC and how can I stop it.
You can't stop it without getting away from all AC wiring like the wires in your house and on the poles outside your house. It is radiated from the wires, and your body acts as an antenna. Then, when you touch some conductor (like the resistor lead,) the AC is connected to the conductor.

I have built a lot of breadboards, and I like to think I am pretty good at it, but when I have a problem, it most often turns out to be a wiring error. Don't forget to repair that jumper wire, or throw it away; you don't want to fight that battle again.

Good luck with your next project.

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
You can't stop it without getting away from all AC wiring like the wires in your house and on the poles outside your house. It is radiated from the wires, and your body acts as an antenna. Then, when you touch some conductor (like the resistor lead,) the AC is connected to the conductor.
Thanks for the explanation, I never knew that and it's interesting to know! :)