I can find the NM size for the CPU in my computer, easy. What about the NM process used for common linear devices?

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
What size process do companies like Analog Devices/Linear Technology use for their products?

Between the two, they have four foundries, with either 150mm or 200mm wafer capacity. What is the process
size for their products/analog chips?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What size process do companies like Analog Devices/Linear Technology use for their products?

Between the two, they have four foundries, with either 150mm or 200mm wafer capacity. What is the process
size for their products/analog chips?
In the analog and mixed signal world the feature size does not carry the same implications as it does in a purely digital (memory) design. There are other considerations and I'm not sure I have ever heard a reference to "feature size" for an analog or mixed signal chip.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If they're using 8" wafers, the process is probably in this ball park:
1630456965596.png
This is for WaferTech (part of TSMC) in Camas, WA.

More advanced nodes would have gone with 12" wafers.

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
In the analog and mixed signal world the feature size does not carry the same implications as it does in a purely digital (memory) design. There are other considerations and I'm not sure I have ever heard a reference to "feature size" for an analog or mixed signal chip.
Right, I haven't either. It could be 350microns, depending on what it is, whether a signal converter, 555, or a linear voltage regulator. I think it rather overkill to use bleeding edge technology to produce 20 year old designs. I was just curious what kind of fab equipment they're using.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I was just curious what kind of fab equipment they're using.
They're using old equipment. When a fab becomes "obsolete", companies try to run as much old product in them as they can. Otherwise, the fab becomes a drag on the bottom line and it gets disposed of. If they can't find someone to sell it to, they consider retrofitting for newer technology. If that isn't economically feasible, they donate it to a university.