I bought warning lights that are 12v-24v-is it possible to connect them to 220v controlboard?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi Ron,

-I always thought that halogen lamps and incandescent lamps are the same thing,not to mention that I had no idea that halogen lamps are hotter.
Is there possibility to install incandescent lamp instead of halogen?
I personally wouldn't mind if lamp get hot,but I'm worried that it will damage base and cause fire.
-Another thing that I don't understand is how can I install halogen bulb in that light if it's not made to simply screw it in?

-Anyway,to summarize things-is it possible to install halogen/incandescent bulb in lights I bought and connect them to board?
Will average electrician be able to modify them if that's even possible?

EDIT:my home voltage is 230v and board works on 85-250v.
Lights are 120VAC

Thank you once again Ron.
Halogen lamps ARE incandescent types but because of the halogen gas filling they can have a much hotter filament but stipp the filament does not fail rapidly, because of the halogen group (Hydrogen, Chlorine, Florine, and Bromine) gas. So because of the hotter filament they give off a lot more light, and also a lot more heat. So there may be an excess heat problem. You should monitor the temperature of the lights for the first hour or so by feeling the outside of the lense every few minutes. if they get too hot to touch then switch them off.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
EDIT:my home voltage is 230v and board works on 85-250v.
Lights are 120VAC
Here are specifications for the board:
  • Supply Voltage: 90VAC to 120VAC
Those are inconsistent statements about the board's supply voltage. Are you sure you have the right board (adverts on ebay etc often quote several options and you have to select one from a drop-down list when you order)?

Chris Redfield

Joined Jul 1, 2020
Halogen lamps ARE incandescent types but because of the halogen gas filling they can have a much hotter filament but stipp the filament does not fail rapidly, because of the halogen group (Hydrogen, Chlorine, Florine, and Bromine) gas. So because of the hotter filament they give off a lot more light, and also a lot more heat. So there may be an excess heat problem. You should monitor the temperature of the lights for the first hour or so by feeling the outside of the lense every few minutes. if they get too hot to touch then switch them off.
Do you recommend incandescent bulbs then?
I don't mind if they don't give more light if temperature won't be too high.

Those are inconsistent statements about the board's supply voltage. Are you sure you have the right board (adverts on ebay etc often quote several options and you have to select one from a drop-down list when you order)?
I bought it from Galak Electronics and I told them that I need them to act like in the movie and they told me that many costumer bought that lights just for display because of the movie so they made mode which they named ''Jurassic Park''.
Here is what they told me:
The voltage range is from 90VAC-260VAC
I uploaded specification and instructions file from that board that I got from Galak Electronics

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The temperature reached by the lamp housing depends only on the wattage of the lamps fitted. The technology makes very little difference as most of the input power is turned into heat.

Les.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yes, that's about it. The sockets I linked or similar and lamps to go in them. If you have 220 in then just a pair of 220 volt everyday lamps. That is all there is to it.

Ron

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The board output rating is given in the post #43 link as "125VAC @ 4A / 250VAC @ 2A (500 Watts) per channel ". It's my understanding that whatever mains voltage you put into the board, that is the voltage which gets switched to the lamps; there is no voltage reduction. So for 230V mains you need 230V bulbs.
Since the lamp housing seems limited to about 40W, your mains voltage bulbs should likewise be rated at 40W maximum. If the housing is rated for only 120V there may be a safety issue if using 230V lamps. Your electrician would need to test/confirm.

Last edited:

Chris Redfield

Joined Jul 1, 2020
Yes, that's about it. The sockets I linked or similar and lamps to go in them. If you have 220 in then just a pair of 220 volt everyday lamps. That is all there is to it.

Ron
The board output rating is given in the post #43 link as "125VAC @ 4A / 250VAC @ 2A (500 Watts) per channel ". It's my understanding that whatever mains voltage you put into the board, that is the voltage which gets switched to the lamps; there is no voltage reduction. So for 230V mains you need 230V bulbs.
Since the lamp housing seems limited to about 40W, your mains voltage bulbs should likewise be rated at 40W maximum. If the housing is rated for only 120V there may be a safety issue if using 230V lamps. Your electrician would need to test/confirm.
Thanks guys.
I will call electrician and have him test everything.
I don't want to mess with this things since I'm no expert and I know one person who lives less than a mile from my home,so I'll call him once the lights arrive.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Great...is there anything I can do to make them work?
The simple way to use 120 volt bulbs in a 220 volt system is to have a step-down transformer. Even an autotransformer will work, and be smaller and probably less expensive. The technology is quite standard and so products should be readily available. You will need to add up the wattages that you will have powered at any instant so that the rating of the transformer can be determined. That may be tedious but certainly not complicated.