I am so glad I am not one minute faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So I'm on a bicycle ride up a fairly busy road. I have ridden this road many times with no problem. I usually ride the shoulder.

There is a red light ahead (maybe 20 meters) so the traffic is stacking up. Good for me as it makes a left onto the back road a lot easier.

Suddenly an SUV goes blowing by me. He sees the traffic slams on his brakes and makes a quick right into a driveway, narrowly missing slamming into the house.

If I was less than one minute faster I would have been in that driveway and most likely be toast. I'd bet dollars to donuts the moron was texting while driving. I can't see how he did not see the traffic light or the traffic until the last minute.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Got yah beat! About 10 years ago I'm delivering pizza's and I'm pretty lit! I'm sitting at an intersection of a 2 lane road and a 4 lane road. I'm on the 2 lane going straight. As I said I was pretty burnt at this time. I'm at a red light and it turns green. I sit for a second admiring the flashy lights on my radio and for some reason just sat their about 2 seconds longer. Just as I'm about to hit the gas and go a semi flys though the intersection going about 55mph thru a red light. I just sat in my car for about 10 seconds thinking if I had not been lit I'd be dead. If I had just gone when the light turned green I'm dead, an 18 wheel semi right into my driver door. From then on I have never gone thru an intersection without checking both other lanes for stragglers.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
was my post deleted by moderation? I posted here something like "Glad you're OK! Scary!" - can't imagine why that would be deleted :confused::confused::confused:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nope, I would have seen a trace (mods can see things others can't).

It appears the site went squirrelly this morning, I suspect it required a computer reset.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
He was high. Driving under the influence of an illegal drug, Something I fear as much as someone texting when I am out on the road.
Thats funny cause statistically a driver thats smoked a joint is a much safer driver then if not or had a drink, or is texting LOL which causes more fatal accidents then pots ever done. You gotta realize when your blazed you don't care if someone cuts you off, you drive about 5 mph below the speed limit. Plus if it were that big of a accident creator the cops wouldn't just take it and let you go. Like booze they would arrest you. I've been busted about 8 times only arrested once because the quanity was so high the cop said he couldn't do anything but take all the stems and seeds out and take it out of the bag, I also suspect he took home quite a bit because he couldn't quit talking about how high grade it was, but to us it was total crap.. He was cool though he got it down to a misdomenor. I served 14 hours in county, 11 community hours, and had to teach an 8 hour drug and alcohol class. Which is funny cause I don't even drink. This was many years ago though so things have changed. My friend just got busted in Kansas with 8LB's he got in SF. He had all his guns with him, it was just horrible. He ended up getting charged with no tax stamp and got a $400 fine. But lost $25,000.

Last edited:

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Rules are there to be followed. I do not have a sip of alcohol when I know I'll drive.

I have never taken an illegal drug, nor do I want to be 'high'.

Those things ruin lives. I make my own life interesting.

I'm glad you are okay. When I drive or cycle, I make sure to be very alert. There are a lot of idiots out there who are drunk/high/just don't care who don't care that they could mess up a family's life by killing their child/dad/mum.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
But pot is legal in 18 states soon to be 50.And in another month its gonna be completely legal for anyone over 21 in CO, WA, and OR. No dr note required. The fact is non smokers are now out numbered 60/40. And my doctor instructed me to smoke it so, ill listen to my internist over Mcgruff the propoganda dog. You gotta realize ive seen booze kill dozens of people, destroy families, and much worst. I've seen food sale increase with pot. I'm much more scared of booze then a lil weed.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thats funny cause statistically a driver thats smoked a joint is a much safer driver then if not or had a drink, or is texting LOL which causes more fatal accidents then pots ever done. You gotta realize when your blazed you don't care if someone cuts you off, you drive about 5 mph below the speed limit. Plus if it were that big of a accident creator the cops wouldn't just take it and let you go. Like booze they would arrest you. I've been busted about 8 times only arrested once because the quanity was so high the cop said he couldn't do anything but take all the stems and seeds out and take it out of the bag, I also suspect he took home quite a bit because he couldn't quit talking about how high grade it was, but to us it was total crap.. He was cool though he got it down to a misdomenor. I served 14 hours in county, 11 community hours, and had to teach an 8 hour drug and alcohol class. Which is funny cause I don't even drink. This was many years ago though so things have changed. My friend just got busted in Kansas with 8LB's he got in SF. He had all his guns with him, it was just horrible. He ended up getting charged with no tax stamp and got a $400 fine. But lost $25,000.
In your first post you described how you were mesmerized by the lights while high. Now in this post you try to justify driving while high. You can't have it both ways.

I'm sure you can prove that driving while drunk is far less dangerous than driving after shooting up with heroin.

Today driving is already difficult enough when you are completely sober and concentrating 100%. People being people, they are going to be subject to fatigue, distracted by problems at work or with the spouse etc.

Why add to the problem?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
But wait... I haven't kicked it yet!

For undisclosed reasons, I can testify that a stoned driver is less likely to cause an accident than the following people (ordered from most likely to least likely to cause an accident):
Drunk person
Sleepy person
person texting while driving
person under the influence of *drugs other than pot*
Emotionally compromised female
student driver
asian
teenage male showoff
old blind person

I can also tell you that stoned drivers are absolutely mortified of commercials or soundtracks that have sirens or horns in them. Upon hearing said false alarms, the stoned person will continue to hear them for the rest of the drive, and therefore drive even slower and more careful. Some may even choose to drive in the absence of music or radio to ensure that buzzkilling event does not happen.

All this is just stuff I learned in high school.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This post either gives off a VERY bad message or you 're trolling. Either way, this thread is closed until further notice.

Joking is one thing, but we must know our audience first.

Status
Not open for further replies.