i am really surprised at the amount of questions people ask...

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I know for myself, some times the hardest part of a Google search is knowing the correct question to ask!

By asking dumb questions(to some) this site has been the most helpful of all on the web!

If you can explain even some of what you're trying to do some one will try to help.

Thank you all, for all the help!!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
...then when you reply with one, they say "NO, I live in hell and we only have mud, Give me a circuit using only mud that will charge a battery and will talk to me while im lonely."
I ROR'ed at that one too ;)

The "Help needed!" subject lines make it obvious that they need help choosing a subject line for their thread, as just the fact that they're posting is a 95% chance they need help.

The "URGENT" requests for help make me chuckle. Why should the poster's lack of planning constitute an urgent response on my part? Posts like that tempt me to play games with the requester, but that's not what the forums are about.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
No, your alright... your post was labeled "battery charging" that at least tells us what your interested in.
It wasnt just "HELP ME!!!!!"

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I think that's probably an example of a good post. Problem well defined, links included, not the sort of thing that uncle Google would be very helpful with.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
or how about:

I am a noobie to electronics but my cousin Joey went to DeVry.
I just wired this circuit up and it doesn't work.
WHY??

Last edited:
How do you tell someone they have no chance of ever completing their project based on the sort of questions they are asking.

Something like:
I'd like to build a car but first could someone explain what a wheel is used for?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My circit not workkkkkkkk
Pleeeeeeeeeeease Help MEEEEEEEE.
I need it by tomorrow

{This is not a real post}

Attachments

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If you watched the program about the living dirt,soil,mud
you would under the question better about making electrity
out of mud.They do it at Hartford University,they have jungle nite
light that works from mud, the microbes in the mud make electric.

Last edited:
I have to admit when I want to ask something it normally is kind of weird. When I do projects (I work in a fab shop and just learning a bit about electronics) tend to start at the end then work backwards. Will draw out the finished product then start designing backwards from there. Makes for a lot of revisions and extra work but that is the way those two marbles in my head roll around like

It is amazing when people ask for Schematics on things that are so simple to look up on Google. Just do a search on Google images and there is tons and tons of schematics on every subject.

Timothy

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Markd77:

You circuit doesn't work because your breadboard is crooked!

Even 'I' can tell that from those crappy photos you posted!

jeez N00Bz!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
People get upset because the vast majority do not post schematics. This doesn't phase me any, it is tradition don't ya know. Masons are very strong on tradition. That and many folks have never been on a internet forum, it is a first time experience.

Most of the fancy tricks (like schematics as part of the post) I use I learned here.

A Masonic joke (made funnier to Masons because the truth it represents).

How many Masons does it take to change a light bulb.

Five or more Worshipful Master (the Worshipful Master is a title, like president, it has nothing to do with worship).

Why five or more?

The 1st person proposes changing of the bulb.

The 2nd stands and proclaims this lodge didn't use light bulbs when his great granddad was a Mason, so why do we need these new fangled devices now!

The 3rd person stands and proposes a committee on the proper Masonic way to change said bulb.

The 4th, 5th, and 6th persons are the committee (of course!).

Last edited: