i am really surprised at the amount of questions people ask...

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
that could be answered with a google search..

if people can find this forum...how can they not google for their problems first?

/rant

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I like the OPs who post 'NEED HELP' as the thread title and nothing else.

I also enjoy "I gotta have a neural network self thinking circuit built by 7am tomorrow, geez why did I sleep through class?"

And the straight to the point, broken english versions of "Give me a charger circuit." and thats it. Or "I want a ____".

then when you reply with one, they say "NO, I live in hell and we only have mud, Give me a circuit using only mud that will charge a battery and will talk to me while im lonely."

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
I like the OPs who post 'NEED HELP' as the thread title and nothing else.

I also enjoy "I gotta have a neural network self thinking circuit built by 7am tomorrow, geez why did I sleep through class?"

And the straight to the point, broken english versions of "Give me a charger circuit." and thats it. Or "I want a ____".

then when you reply with one, they say "NO, I live in hell and we only have mud, Give me a circuit using only mud that will charge a battery and will talk to me while im lonely."
Hahaha.

I literally laughed out loud.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I was just looking at 2 posts by a guy named <snip>. The post is just the question from the assignment and the multiple choice answers.... No hello or nothing. No signature... How efficient...
"Look I dont wanna chat or even waste keystrokes on you. In the end, Ill have the answer, so just give it to me now."

sheesh..

Last edited by a moderator:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Google is a computer. We are human. I like humans. They talk and laugh and make you feel stupid when they prove you wrong. I like that.

Google just spits out a bunch of info and some ads.

It is a good first step. Then bring what you learned into the forum to get direction. Just like using a simulator. Google is theory. Reality is practice.

The info on google needs backup by people saying, do this, not that.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
You may have heard of the English award 'OBE' (Order of the British Empire) awarded by the Queen.

This has the nickname 'Other Buggers Efforts', as it's often awarded to people who have organised members of the public to do something that gains attention in the press, rather than actually doing anything themselves.

I reckon there are quite a few of the users of this site, especially the ones that try to pretend their homework assignment is a personal, enthusiast project, that should have any exam or qualification results they receive as a result suffixed (OBE)..

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
you are probably right

i think that at school you should ask your professors for help - because then they will see you making the effort and that will only help your grades in the long run.

for people who are actually hobbyists, or professionals (or n00b professionals like me) who are being exposed to a new aspect of EE that they arent used to...this is a great site, and resource.

it seems that there are some very bright people who frequently post here, and thats a really good thing.

it just sucks that people want to abuse it.

mxabeles

Joined Apr 25, 2009
i agree. I can't believe the frequency and depth of responses. This place really is a gold mine for people like me . an artist that has no formal training in electronics and needs alot of help :)
wrd

†††∞†††

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I don't mind donating a little of my time answering a question I foolishly think I know something about. :p I'll often put a bit of effort into it, as it might help someone later on when they do a search.

When I see the "mud" type question or the student who just posts the problem with no attempted work on his part, it's just a quick click to delete the whole post, as it's not worth the effort to provide an answer. If others do think so, that's their choice.

I just hope we don't burn out people like SgtWookie, who's a walking encyclopedia and a national treasure. I also feel this way about a number of other contributors and moderators -- all folks who make this site very special.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
The problems are those guys are so clever that they know pleading for "a deadline" now rarely works. They have changed their tactic.

So don't fall for the following tricks:

1. "I have asked many people who are experienced in electronics and all of them told me that the idea will not work, one of them even bet me $10 that it couldn't be built. I'm about to give up."

Result: Answer to problem, sometimes more than one answer, with full equations and detailed description.

2. "Peter said it couldn't be built using just 555s and transistors..."

Result: A 555 design that exactly meet the question, no less. Possibly by our forum resident famous 555 guy.

3. "John said no one can design a simple transistor amplifier of gain=20 without using more than one transistor..."

Result: A properly designed common emitter with all the equations and gain=20, using just ONE transistor.

4. A typical assignment question where every "You have" is replaced by "I have" to make it sounds not like an assignment question.

Result: 50% chance of success that a kind guy would pitch in.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I like those kind of posts, give me an opportunity to yell at dis
respectfulness ones.

Give me this....I need that.

I would say get lost or eat my dust but for that I will be the one to get lost if a mod sees it :D.
So, most of the time I have to hold my self from responding and sometimes my hands get to work and does something stupid :p.

I don't mind helping if the OP gives out what he needs and atleast done something about his needs for him self before demanding any thing.

It's because of the type of members here that this forum attracts most of them, that is we don't say no and don't ridicule the OP.
Other sites, I have seen more harsh replies for these kind of noobs.

Cheers for all who for being who they are.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
If you read through this site, the people who get the most help are the people who either state "I know nothing, but I WANT to learn"

And the people who dont want to say they know nothing, post something incorrectly, and are flooded with the why, what, and how to their problems.

They get the "Why" it doesnt work "What" will work and "How" often includes detailed formula and diagrams as well as links all over the world to show the points.

That is great.

It is the people who are going to end up at electronics retailers, (because they passed an electronics class by essentially cheating) and give bad advice and wrong parts to the customers who have faith in the brand.

That is bad. I would prefer to have a knowledgeable workforce for the era my children will inhabit.

And then again, some are just jocks who need to pass the class so they can stay in the football program. ;)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
This one is quite fresh

Scrolling text using four 7-segment displays. The Displays scrolls the words​

“PLEASE StOP HErE For ALL EEE COUrSES” continually. Note the creative use of
lower case letters to enable more characters to be used – this only works when more
of the scrolling word can be seen, otherwise it becomes difficult to read. Have to use ""Pic 16F84"" have to be use for MPLAB.

Example of programming

goto start
E1 bcf porta,1
bcf porta,0
movlw b'01111001'
movwf portb
bsf porta,0

Is there any one can programm that for me I am struggling I need help please

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It is at least a well defined project, even down to the unusual selection of PIC. I just don't see any attempt to start. I don't see it going anywhere.