I am going to fry My Brain !!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I like to make that awesome looking yet dangerouse tesla music sparky thingy..that I saw in a movie.

So...who's gonna help me. ! :p

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'd love to, but I need to warn you: It's very complex and all the parts can get expensive. If you're willing to pay for them all, I'm in! Already had a little experience with Tesla coils ;)

Good luck!
Der Strom

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
R!f@@ Was not your brain fried then you tried to watch a an unseemly movie. Using a dodgy headset connection to the TV:p. I remember you told us about that storry

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
R!f@@ Was not your brain fried then you tried to watch a an unseemly movie. Using a dodgy headset connection to the TV. I remember you told us about that storry
Eh!! what are u saying...!

For ur kind info that wasn't me. besides I am not that stupid.
I know not to touch a live ground in old TV's cause I use to fix 'em.

And if you must know, I got my fair share of electric shock from those bloody things every day most of the time then.

Aaaaah! that was the good old days.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
DOES ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA ON HOW I SHOULD BEGIN !!

I AM DEAD SERIOUS...If u must know.
I'm dead serious too. I'd be happy to help. I've been wanting to build an audio-modulated solid state tesla coil for a long time, just never had the time or money. Logistics could be a bit of a problem, though. I'm over in the U.S. If you can work out some of these issues, I'm in!

Der Strom

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK..Now this is going the way I want...

Lessee the diagrams first......

Beer is not for me...I hate hangovers.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK..Me got to study the diagram...
Quite easy I must say.

Few questions though.

1. What is the silver shiny oval bowl looking thingy at the top ?
Where can I get or how can I make one ?

No body says much about what that thing is.

2. And does the arc just discharge into free air. I mean doesn't it need another terminal at the dome thingy. I do not understand how the corona arcing works from one terminal, or am I missing something ?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
OK..Me got to study the diagram...
Quite easy I must say.

Few questions though.

1. What is the silver shiny oval bowl looking thingy at the top ?
Where can I get or how can I make one ?

No body says much about what that thing is.

2. And does the arc just discharge into free air. I mean doesn't it need another terminal at the dome thingy. I do not understand how the corona arcing works from one terminal, or am I missing something ?
1: The shiny thing is called a topload. It can be a sphere, torus, or anything in between. It is crucial, though, that it doesn't have any sharp edges, or else it will spray corona (no, I don't mean the beer) all over the place and you will not get the arcs you're looking for. The topload acts as a capacitor in parallel with the secondary coil (capacitance is between the topload and ground). The resonant frequency of the LC circuit of the secondary must be matched by the tank circuit to produce the arcs.

2: Yes, the arc will just discharge straight into the air. It has a very high voltage, and it will try to arc to ground wherever possible. However, it will not always make it there, so there will just be streamers (lightning) in mid-air.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
How can I make the topload. May be I can use a stainless steal dish mum uses in the kitchen
could work, but it might be a bit difficult to calculate it's capacitance
I'm not experienced in SSTC's, but for a SGTC I know the secondary must be very closely in tune with the primary resonance circuit

A decent sized torus can be obtained for about $90
A sphere for much less, but it will only shoot up

Are you already at all familiar with the general operation of a tesla coil?
If not then that would be a great place to start

Also, 4hv.org forum has a dedicated tesla coil board, many of which are audio-modulated, if you need something to look at
http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php

[EDIT]
you're going to want to see this
first video-
http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?125121