I am going to fry My Brain !!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
could work, but it might be a bit difficult to calculate it's capacitance
I'm not experienced in SSTC's, but for a SGTC I know the secondary must be very closely in tune with the primary resonance circuit

A decent sized torus can be obtained for about $90
A sphere for much less, but it will only shoot up

Are you already at all familiar with the general operation of a tesla coil?
If not then that would be a great place to start

Also, 4hv.org forum has a dedicated tesla coil board, many of which are audio-modulated, if you need something to look at
http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php

[EDIT]
you're going to want to see this
first video-
http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?125121
I would have to take a few issues with that, magnet. First, with a solid state tesla coil you rarely have to calculate the capacitance of the topload anyway. Usually the primary frequency is adjusted indirectly by a pot, so a pair of semi-spherical bowls should work. I've heard of people using them before.

Also, a sphere will not cause it to "only shoot up". The streamers will "crawl" all over the surface, going out to the side, arcing upward, and even downward. I would agree, however, that a torus is often better. I also agree that R!f@@ should do a little research about how Tesla coils work in the first place. 4hv is okay, but I rarely get good answers there. I have found them to be less friendly than the members here or on Electro-Tech. You could probably read up on some of the threads there, though. It'll help you put this project into perspective.

Regards

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I have seen the movie you refer to..."Sorcerers' Apprentice ??.. impressive equipment indeed !! Trouble is, it's a hollywood overkill for the effects, and you would be happy i'm sure with a scaled-down version.

there are other sources of the info you are seeking, where some rather nice "plasma speakers" have been built. whether you could talk any of them out of plans / schematics is another question.

:D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have seen the movie you refer to..."Sorcerers' Apprentice ??.. impressive equipment indeed !! Trouble is, it's a hollywood overkill for the effects, and you would be happy i'm sure with a scaled-down version.

there are other sources of the info you are seeking, where some rather nice "plasma speakers" have been built. whether you could talk any of them out of plans / schematics is another question.

:D
Plasma speakers are fun, but don't have nearly the impact of a full singing streamer to air. Magnet knows about the plasma speakers--I'm pretty sure he built one a while back (right Magnet?). I would definitely prefer the singing Tesla coil, myself, and I'm willing to do what it takes to help someone make one :D

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Plasma speakers are fun, but don't have nearly the impact of a full singing streamer to air. Magnet knows about the plasma speakers--I'm pretty sure he built one a while back (right Magnet?). I would definitely prefer the singing Tesla coil, myself, and I'm willing to do what it takes to help someone make one :D
Right you are- http://thesolderblob.com/plasma-speaker.html
And its like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda Civic

I would have to take a few issues with that, magnet. First, with a solid state tesla coil you rarely have to calculate the capacitance of the topload anyway. Usually the primary frequency is adjusted indirectly by a pot, so a pair of semi-spherical bowls should work. I've heard of people using them before.
Thanks, I was unsure how important resonance is in a SSTC

Also, a sphere will not cause it to "only shoot up". The streamers will "crawl" all over the surface, going out to the side, arcing upward, and even downward. I would agree, however, that a torus is often better. I also agree that R!f@@ should do a little research about how Tesla coils work in the first place. 4hv is okay, but I rarely get good answers there. I have found them to be less friendly than the members here or on Electro-Tech. You could probably read up on some of the threads there, though. It'll help you put this project into perspective.

Regards
4HV is alright, though they can be unfriendly under certain circumstances

I haven't spent much time on electro-tech