i am facing a problem in soldering!

aj_silverthunder

Joined Jun 6, 2009
the problem is that,if i apply the solder(lead) on the soldering iron,the lead is liquified and it is not easily dropping out of the tip of the soldering iron,instead it gets stuck at the tip of the soldering iron,i have to make it to drop on the soldering junction by myself!i think the coating of the soldering tip has completely disappeared!please help me guys!

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Make sure the tip of your soldering iron is very clean; bright and shiny, etc. Usually a sponge is used to accomplish this. When you solder, you should apply the iron before you apply the solder for a couple of seconds. Then when you finish soldering, take away the solder and then the iron.

Austin

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
A bit of damp denim (from old jeans) works well for cleaning a hot iron.
Lightly re-tin it immediately after cleaning.

The sponges supplied with iron stands etc. are cellulose based - do not try and use foam rubber or foam plastic sponge to clean an iron!

If the tip is no longer properly tinned, let it cool then polish off the tarnish with wire wool, or very gently scrape it bright with a knife blade.

After doing this, you must tin it with flux-cored solder AS IT HEATS - it will very rapidly tarnish again if allowed to fully heat without being tinned.

aj_silverthunder

Joined Jun 6, 2009
guys i did as u said and i even learnt something,but the temperature of the tip of soldering iron is less when compared 1mm above the tip. the solder is not covering the tip!THE TIP IS REPELLING THE SOLDER WIRE,is there any way to solve this problem!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Can you post pictures of equipment and what you trying to
solder.You may be good at posting pictures. I was right you
have very excellent photo equipment. post your soldering gun and tip
close up. Some wires are hard to solder,you may need soldering paste.
You can do it. Guys check some of his past post,perfect close-up
pictures. Some one good at pasteing bring one of his photo to this post.
Morse his photos are better than your you tube.

Last edited:

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Either the iron isn't clean enough or it isn't hot enough. Is the tip of your iron bright and shiny? What is the usable temperature range of your iron?

Austin

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
To make a good solder joint you need to get the soldering iron as high above the joint as possible. A 30 story office building is perfect.
Select a day with low wind then let your molten solder drip down 30 stories to the solder joint.
I do it like this all the time and it works perfectly!

Are you kidding? I am.