I am an engineer but... - I designed an IOT module but nobody cares

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
Hi

I have made an IOT module, but nobody cares, I don't know what to do, I have worked for 2 years on it. Software, Hardware, Firmware, Server, Website, PCB, and now nothing...

Why people like me are supposed to be ...

:(

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi

I have made an IOT module, but nobody cares, I don't know what to do, I have worked for 2 years on it. Software, Hardware, Firmware, Server, Website, PCB, and now nothing...

This happens often when people create solutions for problems that do not exist. Knowing your customer and the market is essential for successful product development.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi

Somebody might care, but nobody knows about it. Put your customer hat on and think about why your creation should get their attention. How is it different than existing products? Does it have unique features, a better price, look better?

Just building yourself a wheel doesn’t mean anyone else will want it. You need to tell the world why your wheel is better. If it’s not better, move on.

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
This happens often when people create solutions for problems that do not exist. Knowing your customer and the market is essential for successful product development.
Well I thought IOT has a good market and so many customer...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Well my biggest problem is fining a salesman...
Before you consider a salesman, do your marketing research as @bertus mentioned. Know your market, their needs, and where your product fits. If there’s really potential for it, only then would I invest in sales, manufacturing, promotions and so on.

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
Somebody might care, but nobody knows about it. Put your customer hat on and think about why your creation should get their attention. How is it different than existing products? Does it have unique features, a better price, look better?

Just building yourself a wheel doesn’t mean anyone else will want it. You need to tell the world why your wheel is better. If it’s not better, move on.
Yeah, but I'm only a designer and programmer, I have spent my life for researching, making electronical hardwares and software... sometimes product with lower quality and higher prices have more customer , I mean marketing is a science and i don't know anything about it...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yeah, but I'm only a designer and programmer, I have spent my life for researching, making electronical hardwares and software... sometimes product with lower quality and higher prices have more customer , I mean marketing is a science and i don't know anything about it...
You may know more about your market than you think. If you’ve worked on your solution with various features in mind, such as security and reliability based on cloud servers, current switching capacity to ensure safety, compliance with common protocols such as HomeKit and so, then you we’re solving things that customers demand. Somehow you knew that these things were important.

Tell the world about what problems your creation solves for them. Your customers may be other engineers like you, and you can speak their language.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I mean marketing is a science and i don't know anything about it...
Common sense would tell you that if you design something no one wants, no one will buy it.

There have been cases where salesmen could sell people things they didn't really need or want, but that's the exception.

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
You may know more about your market than you think. If you’ve worked on your solution with various features in mind, such as security and reliability based on cloud servers, current switching capacity to ensure safety, compliance with common protocols such as HomeKit and so, then you we’re solving things that customers demand. Somehow you knew that these things were important.

Tell the world about what problems your creation solves for them. Your customers may be other engineers like you, and you can speak their language.
Ok, Thank you so much

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
From personal experience: engineers make for lousy salesmen.

The trick is to convince a potential customer that he wants to spend his hard earned cash on your product instead of something else he desires. This is an emotional -- and many times irrational -- decision making process. Engineers tend not to think, or communicate, this way.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Am I the only one that sees the hilarious irony in the title of this thread?
No this happens to pure technology types all the time. They act like inventors and get consistently screwed out of everything all the time. They need to get their heads out of their keisters and realize that we live in a real world and ideas are worth less than a dime a bale in ten bale lots.* When engineers start acting like entrepreneurs and businessmen their fortunes will change.

*Lancaster, Don,The Case Against Patents

What you need to do now is use what you have as a stepping stone to the next product/project. This time find a customer and understand his requirements BEFORE you draw the schematic or write a line of code. While you are at it, at least get yourself an LLC.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Some of your market research will ask _why_ they don't like your product. Of course, one reason they don't like it is that they have not heard about it. That is the marketing part.

Both of these problems must be dealt with for a successful product.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You got two things wrong there.

Product with lower quality and lower price gets more sales, but not necessarily more profit.
Product with lower quality and higher price doesn't sell.

Marketing is an art, not a science.
Marketing is sometimes intuition and gut feeling. Many times marketing does the exact a opposite of what one would expect.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi

Well I thought IOT has a good market and so many customer...
Think about this for a minute and you will likely discover a big part of your problem.

Someone convinces you that "IOT has a good market" and so you apparently concluded that ANYTHING that could be tagged as being "IOT" was somehow guaranteed to be an instant hit.

So think back to what made you think that YOUR particular IOT module should matter to anyone. Did you make any effort to find out what people wanted or whether they would want what you were thinking of doing? Or did you just tuck yourself away and bury your head for two years assuming that whatever you built would have a market?

You may or may not be able to salvage anything from this project, but you should definitely use it as a learning experience to keep from making the same mistake again (and again, and again).