Hydrochrolic Acid, et cetera

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Yehey! It's time for our Science Experiment!

I have some few questions before our experiment will happen, I guess next week.:)

We are going to taste a diluted hydrochloric acid. Is hydrochloric acid a scientific name for muriatic acid?:p

What do you think guys is the taste of hydrochloric acid? Is it safe? Or what?

Don't worry our Science teacher will be there at our lab together with us.:D

How to find the volume of an irregular shaped items?

It is like

1st, Record the volume of water.
2st, put the irregular shaped item on water in beaker.
3rd, minus the volume of water (only) by the new volume (the water volume plus the irregular shaped item)
4th, is that the answer already? We should put ^3, right? Like 3 cm^3:)

What do we call like that? Water displacement????:confused:

Can I use Hydrochloric acid as an alternative acid for Sulfuric acid for a Voltaic Battery? Will the Hydrochloric acid react If I put zinc strip, copper strip, and a bulb? What will happen?

Thanks so much.:D

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Hydrochloric acid is also called muriatic acid or muric acid.
Around 0.5% of hydrochloric acid is found in gastric acid a type of digestive fluid which help us in digesting food.It forms inside our stomach.
What do you think guys is the taste of hydrochloric acid? Is it safe? Or what?
Let your teacher guide you on this...

What do we call like that? Water displacement????:confused:
In general we called it Archimedes principle ,but this is also known as Displacement under Fluid Mechanics.

Can I use Hydrochloric acid as an alternative acid for Sulfuric acid for a Voltaic Battery?
Hydrochloric acid (HCL) is not an alternative acid for Sulfuric acid (H2SO4),but for voltaic cell you can use any acid,but the reaction will differ and the amount of voltage will also differ.

HCL is highly corrosive,so its too dangerous it can burn your skin and tissue,and it forms acidic mists which is also very dangerous don't try to smell it.

Good luck and be safe.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Sounds like a very dangerous experiment to me....

As debjit625 said, hydrochloric acid is what you have in your stomach to digest food (stomach acid) and is highly corrosive. The reason it does not hurt you is because it is contained within the mucus-lined stomach. However, if any of it seeps back into your esophagus, it can cause severe damage. Ever hear of heartburn? That is generally caused by acid backing up, and if it happens often, can lead to acid reflux disease (basically it eats away at your esophagus and can damage it severely).

Anyway, hydrochloric acid is very corrosive and can even melt through some times of metal. Here's a video of a few different metals being put into hydrochloric acid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECmNO0VMSgo

It can even melt flesh right off your bone, so please be very careful, and listen to your teacher. This is very important to your safety.
Regards,
Der Strom

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Dude, why are always attracted to more dangerous things?

You can make an acid/metal battery that can easily power an LED using some solid copper wire, two zinc coated nails and a couple of lemons.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
No. I promise all of you, all the questions related to dangerous stuffs I asked, I don't do in real life. I just ask but not do. I can't buy them any where because it is not allowed, you need to have business or school.

But the tasting Hydrochloric acid is requested by my teacher. :D

TheCatapult :D

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If the teacher is supervising, it is fine. We've all vomited and survived and you will almost certainly be tasting hydrochloric acid which is less concentrated than that (and it won't taste as bad because it doesn't have other nasties like bile in it).

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I don't believe hydrochloric acid has either an odor or a taste. It'll probably just taste like you're drinking water (if it's fully diluted--otherwise you won't taste it because your tongue would be burnt off :p ).
That's just my guess, anyway.
Der Strom