HP power jack

sshelton961

Joined Jan 23, 2009
Like millions I have had my HP power jack disconnect from the motherboard, I have resolderied it a couple times but it eventually comes off again. (I'm not very good at soldering)

I would like to have the power jack sit outside the laptop with wires running to the motherboard. I think the wires would be flexable enough to releive the stress of the power cord being plugged in. I will be using this as a Desktop PC so it will not be moving. I could also making another small box that would hold the power jack, and keep it from moving.

I need help knowing if this is possible and what type of wires and solder to use. HELP I've had this laptop sitting in my closet for months, I refuse to give up it was quite expensive and with a 19'' Wide screen I want to be able to use it.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Use stranded copper wire with diameter just small enough to fit the holes where your jack came loose.

If you can find any, use 60/40 tin/lead solder. It IS still sold, but is getting harder to find.

1) Make sure everything is CLEAN. Wipe down the solder, the wires, the part of the board, and the jack with alcohol.

2) Make sure your iron tip is CLEAN and tinned.

3) Wire to the hole first. Iron touches both the wire and the metal the wire will be soldered to. Next touch the solder to both the wire and the metal. Remove when just barely enough solder has flowed. Remove iron.

It would be a good idea to practice first.

Oh... and two hours is not always enough time to wait for a response around here. Sometimes it can take a day or more to get a response.

sshelton961

Joined Jan 23, 2009
Thanks thingmaker3, Can I use the stranded copper wire for the ground too?
I'm sure you already know but the power jack has 4 connectors on the corners and then the long one that goes through the middle and is the one that goes inside the actual power cord.