How would i use an IV-27M nixie tube VFD?

Rednecklawrence

Joined Jul 15, 2015
Hello! I have no experience with VFD and such, but I have looked around a bit and am trying to understand VFD's. Specifically, how would I control one with an arduino? How would I pulse a grid (from what I understand) with 24-50V with an arduino? And... yeah. questions like that.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272058576048?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
That is what I bought. they haven't come in yet, but I just need some general guidance in how to use these things.
Thanks!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello! I have no experience with VFD and such, but I have looked around a bit and am trying to understand VFD's. Specifically, how would I control one with an arduino? How would I pulse a grid (from what I understand) with 24-50V with an arduino? And... yeah. questions like that.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272058576048?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
That is what I bought. they haven't come in yet, but I just need some general guidance in how to use these things.
Thanks!
Nixie and VFD are 2 entirely different display technologies.

Nixie is a multi-electrode neon tube.

VFD is basically an array of triodes with fluorescent coated anodes - usually each digit has its own anode so the digits can be strobed in sequence. the grids usually control the segments, usually all the same segment for all the digits are wired in parallel so VFD displays are usually multiplexed.

You can (or used to be able to) get individual digit VFD tubes - which gives you the choice to multiplex or drive each tube segments individually.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
bertus: What application opens that file type?

OP: With so many display technologies to choose from, why are you picking one that is relatively expensive, requires multiple voltages and drive waveforms, and basically is undocumented?

ak

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Irfanview can, too.
The big disappointment with the original Lizardtech viewer is that it doesn't save and restore last viewed like Acrobat does with PDF.

If you go back to a previously viewed DJVU, you have to scroll through it to find the page you were at.

Do any of the alternatives mentioned here improve on that?

Rednecklawrence

Joined Jul 15, 2015
Oh wow, thanks for all the replies! Now I don't speak Russian, and I don't know how id translate that cause its not in text. either way, I still have no clue what im looking at. if anyone could point me to a tutorial on how VFD's work, and if this tube works generally the same as every other normal VFD, thatd be great! ill just try poking and prodding things with voltages n'stuff (if that's a safeish thing to do!), ive got five of em that just came in today.

bertus: What application opens that file type?

OP: With so many display technologies to choose from, why are you picking one that is relatively expensive, requires multiple voltages and drive waveforms, and basically is undocumented?

ak
Cause im different :)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Looked at some stuff, and am I correct in saying that the cathode has to be 3v AC, not DC?
The cathode is a directly heated filament that spans the width of a multi digit display or the height of a single digit tube.

DC on the filament would produce a voltage gradient along its length - the relative grid bias wouldn't be the same for all the segments. Too bright at one end and too dim at the other.

Some manufacturers have used a mains frequency transformer with a special centre-tapped filament secondary - most use a transistor inverter that also generates about 50V anode supply. These are usually incorporated into the PCB design - but you can buy a little module containing the inverter.