How we can protect our electronics device from water and other liquid ?

parrymartin013

Joined Aug 8, 2013
Hello everyone !

I am Parry martin.Please tell me how we can protect our small electronic device like iphone and tablets from water and other liquids?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I saw that one coming. :D

Seriously, when I think my laptop might be exposed to high humidity, I put it in a gallon zip-lock bag. I do the same thing when I am using my GPS in the rain.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Marine supply stores and marine departments sell water/moisture proof plastic boxes. Desiccant can be used inside for long-term storage. For larger items, look into freighting and shipping containers. They sometimes are water and moisture resistant.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Or the innards of the device could be potted in some resin. It will make repairs next to impossible, but water will never get in.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
when I think my laptop might be exposed to high humidity, I put it in a gallon zip-lock bag. I do the same thing when I am using my GPS in the rain.
+1

When my wife's Iphone screen shattered, just for sharts & grins, we tried putting it inside a ziplock bag so that the shards wouldn't cut her face or fingers. Much to my surprise, it worked like a charm. It had absolutely no effect on being able to hear through the earpiece or talk through the mouthpiece, and the touchscreen behaved as if the bag was not even there. So now I put my phone in a ziplock bag anytime I think it might get wet. Actually, I should probably keep it in there permanently, because "you never know."

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I got tired of my cell phones getting ruined by moisture, so I got a Samsung Convoy. It's hardened against moisture, dust, and shock. No more problems.

That doesn't mean I can immerse it though. But I can use it in the rain with no issues.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
+1

When my wife's Iphone screen shattered, just for sharts & grins, we tried putting it inside a ziplock bag so that the shards wouldn't cut her face or fingers. Much to my surprise, it worked like a charm. It had absolutely no effect on being able to hear through the earpiece or talk through the mouthpiece, and the touchscreen behaved as if the bag was not even there. So now I put my phone in a ziplock bag anytime I think it might get wet. Actually, I should probably keep it in there permanently, because "you never know."
Off-topic: When my son's iPod glass was shattered I removed the glass and replaced it with a thin piece of plexiglas.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can coat the electronics with conformal coating but this would mess up buttons, switches, contacts and connections.

I would not recommend doing this with a phone, tablet, etc.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
older Ipod (not ipod touch)? For the touchscreens you have to replace it with an OEM screen if I'm not mistaken.
AFAIK the capacitive touch screens where you can use two fingers have the sensors behind the display. It's only the single touch resistive screens that use an overlay.