How too Drive j111 from a PCF8574

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Wouldn't a diode suffice for removing the 3.2V bias? From what little I know about JFETs, they shouldn't have a problem with the bias, anyway..

RickH

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Ahh yes that might actually work, Like a zener or an LED with a diode could do it. I may try that, Thanks tom66.

I am working with j111's as audio Switches in Existing circuits, I would really like to keep the on voltage too 0VDC if at all possible.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you used a diode to remove the bias, you'd have to ensure that there was a constant current flow through it, or the voltage wouldn't be very stable. It would add to the parts count, too.

RickH

Joined Dec 10, 2010
ya, your right I would need to add a resistor to draw current at -15V so add 1 diode and 1 resistor to drop 1 transistor isn't an improvement.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If you used a diode to remove the bias, you'd have to ensure that there was a constant current flow through it, or the voltage wouldn't be very stable. It would add to the parts count, too.
I might be misunderstanding something here, so feel free to correct me. But the problem with your original circuit was that it went from -15V to +3.2V, right? And it needed to go from -15V to 0V. Well, a diode would accomplish that, although it would drop ~0.5V when conducting, but that shouldn't matter too much.

RickH

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Its still easier/cheaper/smaller board using quad op amps as switches I think.
3 Resistors 1 Transistor 1 Diode Per switch
2 Resistors 1/4 Op-Amp per switch

Actualy I have seen the diode in series with A jfet gate so it may actually work with little to no current flow, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, you may be annoyed with me because I didn't go back and look at my 1st common base simulation. It just hit me that I didn't go back and check the emitter current in the original simulation; which I just did.

It was much too high; 140mA. So, I added resistance between the signal and the emitter, and increased the pull-down resistor to 15k. Wouldn't you know it.... 2 resistors and 1 transistor will get the job done.

Attachments

RickH

Joined Dec 10, 2010
LOL well their it is then, and I just etched my op amp switching board lmao. I'm still gonna breadboard this and see if I like it more, depends on ease of board making and size now as they will basically cost the same I believe.