How to wire up LCD LED Interface Pins

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Hi,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time out to read this post.

I recently purchased a MIDAS MC21605E6W-SPTLYI 2x16 I2C LCD. The datasheet doesn't really provide any information regarding the connection of the LED+ & LED- pins to Vdd (3v) and GND.

Should I connect the LED+ pin to Vdd (3V) via a resistor? If so, what value of resistor should I use?

Here's a link to the PDF datasheet: MIDAS LED DATASHEET LINK

Again, thank you very much for your time.

Rob

Attachments

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hi,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time out to read this post.

I recently purchased a MIDAS MC21605E6W-SPTLYI 2x16 I2C LCD. The datasheet doesn't really provide any information regarding the connection of the LED+ & LED- pins to Vdd (3v) and GND.

Should I connect the LED+ pin to Vdd (3V) via a resistor? If so, what value of resistor should I use?

Here's a link to the PDF datasheet: MIDAS LED DATASHEET LINK

Again, thank you very much for your time.

Rob

That is just the backlight. Add an appropriate current limiting resistor and connect to your 3V. Datasheet should give forward voltage of the LED so you can calculate the resistor.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Hi both,

I really appreciate your prompt responses.

The datasheet states the following:

LED Forward Voltage: 3.8V - 4.2V
LED Forward Current: 15mA

So assuming I use ohms law I get the following:

R = 4 / 0.015 = 266 ohms.

My next question is, if the Vdd for the LCD controller is 3v, is it common for the LED backlight to require a 4v supply? Currently everything in my circuit design uses 3v. Does this mean that I'm going to need a 4v supply just for the backlight LED?

Many thanks for your input.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It might. 3v isn't enough forward voltage for some types of LED's. You datasheet also shows two LED's in series. Are they 4V wired together, or 4V each? Can't seem to tell. I would connect a 15mA current and measure the voltage, and measure the resistance with a DMM.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hi both,

I really appreciate your prompt responses.

The datasheet states the following:

LED Forward Voltage: 3.8V - 4.2V
LED Forward Current: 15mA

So assuming I use ohms law I get the following:

R = 4 / 0.015 = 266 ohms.

My next question is, if the Vdd for the LCD controller is 3v, is it common for the LED backlight to require a 4v supply? Currently everything in my circuit design uses 3v. Does this mean that I'm going to need a 4v supply just for the backlight LED?

Many thanks for your input.
Sorry I must have missed that in there. Your forward voltage is going to be based off color. Are you certain that is the only range? If that is it then you won't be able to light the backlight. Blue does have a pretty high forward voltage. What color is the backlight? If it is yellow, green or red, I would be surprised if it was really that high.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
I would connect a 15mA current and measure the voltage, and measure the resistance with a DMM.
Thanks Brownout. I think this will be the best option. But of a bummer that I will need to supply another Voltage rail to my circuit. Such is life though.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If the display is 3V then your backlight might light with 3V. I would give it a try. Use 20ma as your current just to play to safe.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
yea a real bummer.

Oh well, I will need to create one power rail for 3V for my chips and another 4v rail just for the backlight LED.

Some testing is required first though.

Really appreciate your time and help with this.

Rob

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
If you just supply 5V for the LED, you can just connect a 3V regulator to the 5V supply for the chip. Or else just run the display on straight 5V. But before you do anything, I would supply 15ma to the LED and verify the voltage.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Just had a response from MIDAS regarding the backlight LEDs.
The LEDs typically need 4.1V at 30ma

I was advised to use a 5V supply with 30R resistor.

So how do you calculate the resistor required?

Ohms law tells me the following:

R = V / I = 5V / 0.030A = 166.66R

166.66R certainly isn't 30R.

Here's a copy of the datasheet that was emailed to me from MIDAS support (download PDF)

Many thanks,

Rob

/************* EDIT *****************/
I found an LED calculator here when Googling.
It recommends 33R, which matches MIDAS' response.

I guess I didn't consider supply voltage as well as the diode forward voltage.

Last edited:

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Thank you guys, really appreciate it.

There's a good YouTube video here describing how LEDs and limiting resistors work if anyone else is interested.