How to wire a 3-Step controller to a fan (what kind of cable do I need?)

MThompson

Joined Feb 1, 2018
I just received a small (1amp) in-line centrifugal fan and 3-step controller that I ordered, I thought wiring everything together would be pretty straightforward but I got stuck on something simple.

I picked up standard electrical cable (GY BR BL) and a plug to wire the controller to my mains, but what can I use to connect the controller to the fan? Should I be using 5 individual wires and sheathing them myself? From what I can tell there's no existing 5-wire cable, am I supposed to make one or is there something I'm missing?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Mark

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi MT,
You can buy 5 core mains flex cables, cost will be a problem when only wanting a 'short' length.
Another way would be to use two lengths of standard 3 core, if the cable grips will accept that.?
E
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Flex_White_3/index.html?ad_position=1t1&source=adwords&ad_id=200251192791&placement=&kw=5 core cables&network=g&matchtype=b&ad_type=&product_id=&product_partition_id=&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-nQqbGE2QIVV80bCh2XtQayEAAYASAAEgJGR_D_BwE

MThompson

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Oh that's an excellent idea using two 3-core cables! The fan actually has a second grip and hole to punch out so that would accommodate it perfectly.

I just opened the controller box and there are no grips or openings at all. I was just going to drill into it but not sure what to do about the lack of any grips, is there a specific piece to seal and secure the cables that I should be using? I guess I can see if I can find some grip piece at the shop...

Mark

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I just received a small (1amp) in-line centrifugal fan and 3-step controller that I ordered, I thought wiring everything together would be pretty straightforward but I got stuck on something simple.

I picked up standard electrical cable (GY BR BL) and a plug to wire the controller to my mains, but what can I use to connect the controller to the fan? Should I be using 5 individual wires and sheathing them myself? From what I can tell there's no existing 5-wire cable, am I supposed to make one or is there something I'm missing?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Mark
You can also use 5 individual wires in a twisted bundle, which may make keeping which is which simpler. One question is how long do the wires need to be to get from where you want the controller to be to where you are putting the fan. And will the wires be exposed or not. Another concern is the issue of radio frequency noise from the controller. Some controllers are "silent" while others generate a lot of noise and interfere with radio and TV reception. In some areas the electrical code forbids using the ground wire color code,(Green/yellow) for any function except earth ground. For a fairly small fan such as this you can use as small as #18 size wire. And in some areas you can use a flexible metal sheath known as "greenfield". So there is anothe r option.