How to use TO-3 transistor

HaPPy_BoY

Joined Dec 5, 2010
Hi guys, i have some 2n3055 transistor TO-3 package. It has only 2 pins; base and emitter. The "tab" is the collector. So let's say i want to use it in a circuit such as attached. How do i connect with the collector or is the tab grounded ?

Attachments

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
They are usually mounted on a physically isolated heatsink inside the chassis. The heatsink will have voltage on it in reference to the chassis ground. The case of the transistor, as you guessed, is the missing connection.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
Use a screw, nut, and wire on a ring lug to connect to the xstr case. An internal tooth lock washer is also useful for maintaining the connection between the ring lug and the case.

HaPPy_BoY

Joined Dec 5, 2010
I see . I just need to connect a wire to the case.

So, just curious, if the collector is not connected, is it grounded by default ?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you get a socket for the T)-3 can and use an insulating washer, then the transistor can be placed on a grounded heat sink or case, but still have a voltage present on the collector. If that voltage is dangerous, then it is also possible (or was) to get a plastic insulating cover to protect users.