How to use of GaN Transistor gates instead of IGBT in this circuit ?

Ali Z

Joined Mar 22, 2022
I have a boost converter circuit. its designed with IGBT . But I wanna use GaN transistor and simulate it .

But GaN Transistor has two gates . Do I have to use two gates or using one gate is enough ? How can it be its design with vpulse values and resistor?

I added photo of circuit, GaN transistor model and its datasheet.

converter design.png

Attachments

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
A GaN transistor has only one gate. The version you show has two pins (pads) that connect to the gate. You can connect either one or both. I usually connect all options to the PCB for security and anything to remove heat from the chip.

You should not use zener diodes to protect the transistors from the inductive kick of the coil. Use standard diodes. The reversed-biased zeners conduct current at their zener voltage.

Ali Z

Joined Mar 22, 2022
A GaN transistor has only one gate. The version you show has two pins (pads) that connect to the gate. You can connect either one or both. I usually connect all options to the PCB for security and anything to remove heat from the chip.

You should not use zener diodes to protect the transistors from the inductive kick of the coil. Use standard diodes. The reversed-biased zeners conduct current at their zener voltage.
So should I connect that 4.7 ohm resistor both the two pins ? or one is enough ? and in its datasheet there is Rg(on) and Rg(off) .

Do I have to use two resistor like this circuit and its mean two vpulse voltage for each resistor ?

GaN circuit.png

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
That is an unfortunate image. I think they are trying to show the gate being switched from Rg off to Rg on. It can be the same single point if you are switching with a microcontroller pin.

Ali Z

Joined Mar 22, 2022
I will just simulate it orcad pspice so I can use vpulse and a resistor and only 1 pin of this GaN transistor for gate connection right ?