How to use an Analog Front End with Piezo for Ultrasound Signal Processing

LuisDeveloper

Joined Feb 24, 2020
I am creating a novel ultrasonic device, I will be using the TDC1011 analog front end AFE by texas instrument which is capable of producing 4mhz. This AFE produces the wave (pulse) and catch the echo coming back using the the same piezo sensor. My questions are:

1. This AFE required a clock generator. Can I use any clock generator?, if yes, which one?.

2. Can the sample rate be adjusted on AFE?

3. How fast my controller (in MHZ) like arduino or the IT MCU controller need to be in order to read the signal?.

4. what would the transfer rate of the AFE going to the controller?

5. How can I increase the pulse (intensity) generated by the AFE so I can have a more intense ultrasound wave? not sure if the 3 or 5v will be enough to produce the intensity needed or maybe the desire intensity I am looking for is not needed since the echo coming back to the piezo will be amplified by the AFE. Please any comment would be appreciated.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Have you studied the data sheet? It looks to me like all of your questions are either answered directly there, or you can figure out the answers from the information contained in it.

LuisDeveloper

Joined Feb 24, 2020
Have you studied the data sheet? It looks to me like all of your questions are either answered directly there, or you can figure out the answers from the information contained in it.
I am reading it today but I have not seem the answers yet. For example, it does not mentioned what type of clock, sample/data rate, it does not say anything about the "intensity" since I think it is out of the scope of the datasheet etc. My question was submitted so I can get answers from people working with AFE and see what else I can learn.