How to use a part # from service manual to find the appropriate Zener diode

watson01

Joined Mar 17, 2023
Relative newbie here with vexing problem -- on a Magnavox DVD/HDD recorder mainboard there is a zener diode that I am wanting to replace -- the question is, how to I find a match? The service manual indicates this part # NDTB015BSTT26 and has the description Diode Zener 15BSBT26. When I go searching based on this information, I cannot find a match anywhere. Could someone please explain how I can go about finding a match for this Zener diode? Any help appreciated, and thank you!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

To begin a search with any repair, you must post the make and model number of the device.
If you provide a link to a service manual that would save us the trouble to locate it.
If you have a circuit schematic then posting it with reference to the particular component you are seeking will also help us help you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Relative newbie here with vexing problem -- on a Magnavox DVD/HDD recorder mainboard there is a zener diode that I am wanting to replace -- the question is, how to I find a match? The service manual indicates this part # NDTB015BSTT26 and has the description Diode Zener 15BSBT26. When I go searching based on this information, I cannot find a match anywhere. Could someone please explain how I can go about finding a match for this Zener diode? Any help appreciated, and thank you!
It is probably some type of in house nomenclature applied to custom parts. Your chances of finding a match are rapidly approaching a very low order of probability. But, that said, you never can predict what will happen when you put such a query on interwebs.

watson01

Joined Mar 17, 2023
Thanks for the previous replies. I would like to learn how to order a replacement diode when I have the part # from the service manual. This is for a Magnavox
HDD & DVD PLAYER / RECORDER
WITH DIGITAL TUNER
MDR515H/F7
Link to service manual: https://elektrotanya.com/magnavox_mdr515h_f7_sm.pdf/download.html
The Zener I am looking to replace is D1013 - in the service manual page 1-21-2 electrical parts list, the D1013 has the following description and part #
D1013 DIODE ZENER 15BSB-T26, part # NDTB015BST26
When I go for example to Mouser I cannot find any Zener diode listed with this description or part# -- the question is how I can go about finding a replacement for this diode.
Attached is a photo of the board, and D1013 is also seen on page 1-13-21 of the service manual
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this -- much appreciated.

Attachments

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
page 46 of 82 of the service manual. unfortunately schematic are embedded as images so search function does not find it.
1680148843641.png

this diode is a "15V" (the 15 is is in the part number "15BSB").
in parallel with diode D1013 is a 16V capacitor so zener voltage has to be under those 16V.
and normally this zener should never even become active - it only serves as protection.

it gets power from two circuits both of them are under zener breakdown (12V and 9V3)

1680150016187.png

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
12.6V is expected normal operating voltage. the point is fed from two sources and higher one is "12V rail" (actually measured 13.3V if i recall). the difference is due to forward drop of the diode D1015
13.3V - 0.7V = 12.6V.

the diode D1013 has Zener voltage that must be lower than 16V (the capacitor is only 16V rated) and it has to be more than 12.6V. that alone narrows it down pretty nicely. besides, the 15BSB does say 15V as shown in a datasheet. and it is not a WAG, plenty of examples exist, just check schematics and see what else is there.

for example
11BSB (D1002) is a 11V Zener, see the 10.1V after transistor? (further to the right).

and same is with 9V on the left (D1012).

finally, just Google "diode 15BSB" and there is plenty of candidates of every shape and form - but all are 15V Zeners.

Last edited: