How to use a flux grease?

joeylemor

Joined Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

I found a container in my soldering kit that says "Soldering Flux Grease". It has a paste-like consistency. Will appreciate it if someone tells me its use. I only use the solder and the iron, I don't know where this "grease" comes in :confused:

Thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I suspect it is not really a lubricant grease, but rather the term "grease" is a translation or alternative to the more common term, "paste." It is important that it be a rosin flux, not an "acid flux." Can you give more information about your kit (brand, part number, etc.) so we can help you identify whether it is the correct type of flux?

A flux is usually used in soldering. Its purpose is to clean surface oxides from the area being heated so the solder can form a good joint with the metals being joined. The flux can be included in the solder ("flux core"), so you may not have known you were using a flux at the time. The flux can also be added separately or in addition to using flux cored solder.

John

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's probably a flux that is intended to be spread on a copper pipe joint before it gets sweated together. The texture lets it stay in place while you assemble the full joint.