How to trigger picture-in-picture for security cam on main TV

uzernaam

Joined Dec 12, 2021
I have a DVR and camera system already but I have to get up and go to another room to see the DVR monitor.

I would like to have my television pop up with a picture-in-picture of what I'm currently watching on the main view, and a smaller window with a security camera feed, but ONLY when triggered by a signal from motion detector, alarm, doorbell, etc. I would like this timed to turn the small window back off after a minute or so.

Any ideas on some off-the-shelf hardware I could install to do this?

I see plenty of PIP HDMI boxes for sale, but none of them are controllable in the way I described as far as I know...

uzernaam

Joined Dec 12, 2021
Let me explain again.

I plan on using electronic triggers to cause an HDMI picture-in-picture video processing box to change the video signal going to my TV from a single picture to one which has a box in the bottom-right corner with the video of my security camera DVR. I want the box to automatically come up if triggered by a motion detector, alarm, doorbell, or security lights. I want this 2nd video feed to appear on the bottom right of the screen and then go away after a set time interval. I also want the video processing box to constantly process both video streams and have their combination ready to display instantly on the HDMI out, rather than incurring the delay that is typical when switching digital video streams.

If anyone knows of a commercial product that is capable of doing this, I will use it. If not, I will have to cobble one together on my own.

uzernaam

Joined Dec 12, 2021
So can you find one that has a button or switch to turn the PIP on and off?
I can find several that can be powered on and off via a switch, but none that explicitly say that the PIP feature can be toggled instantaneously to add a 2nd HDMI feed to the current window via any kind of electrical / mechanical switch.