Testing 37 in 1 sensor kit

Djsarakar

Joined Jul 26, 2020
Hi
I have a sensor kit with a many of sensor. I want to understand each sensor's work, how they work without connecting to microcontroller. I would like to use broadboard and multimeter for testing

IMG_20200921_161417.jpg

Can anyone help me understand working of above sensor

Last edited by a moderator:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Apparently, this is the schematic:
1600686016337.png

Source:
"Explains" it.

If you look at a light with closed eyes and gently press on your eyelid you can see your pulse too. Sometimes, you don't even need to press the eyelid. What that simple sensor does is measure the change in transmitted light intensity with each pulse. Your index finger or thumb may be satisfactory sources, Your middle or ring finger are probably not so good. If you are young, try it on your big toe. ;)

Edit: The web between thumb and index or index and middle finger may also work. Experiment.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi
I have a sensor kit with a many of sensor. I want to understand each sensor's work, how they work without connecting to microcontroller. I would like to use broadboard and multimeter for testing

View attachment 217659

Can anyone help me understand working of above sensor
To gain an understanding of the sensor operation you need the circuit of the sensor. The sensor in the photo has an LED and a phototransistor. It sees changes in the light absorbtion as changes in the photo transistor conduction, which results in a changing voltage output.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Evidently my description was not what the TS wanted.
The sensor in the photo has an LED and a phototransistor. It sees changes in the light absorbtion as changes in the photo transistor conduction, which results in a changing voltage output.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
sensor kit https://aws.robu.in/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Arduino-37-in-1-Sensors-Kit-1-1.pdf
I think microcontroller will have to be used to test this sensor.so far now I will postpone this plan and I will test other sensor in which microcontroller is not required
The sensor you show in your first post is not the same as on page 31 of that link. The sensor in your fist post probably doesn't need a microcontroller. Have you switched fields?

How are we supposed to give any reasonable answer to your question if neither you nor we have any idea which sensor you are using? Another mega thread in the making?

@MisterBill2
The link I provided (post#3) is the sensor and its schematic for the picture posted by the TS in post #1.

Djsarakar

Joined Jul 26, 2020
I do not have documents or user manual for all sensor. I thought that the given link might useful to understand the sensor, so I had posted that link

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I do not have documents or user manual for all sensor. I thought that the given link might useful to understand the sensor, so I had posted that link
You have yet to say which sensor you are using. You show the picture of one and link to a different one that doesn't meet your specification of not using an MCU.

We can't possibly tell you how every sensor you might image works, but maybe that is where this thread is headed.

Edit: Emphasis added.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
To understand it, find and read the Product Data File. To test it, most of those modules are built solely to interface with a uC of some sort. So the only way to test it is to connect it to the uC and write a program to interface with it. Each of those modules is built around a particular chip with all of the chips necessary peripheral components. Locate the chip, read its component ID numbers, and find the PDF for that chip to understand how the chip itself works.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I am going top guess you have bought the Arduino ELEGOO kit or something similar.
You first need to identify what is in the kit and I am sure there is paperwork available or online.
Once you have that start looking at datasheets for the component.
If you want, take Paul McWhorters trip through the Arduino which encompasses most of these components if that is the kit and he tells you what they all are and how to connect them to a breadboard and an Arduino if I remember correctly.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
It's common cathode so pin 1 to gnd. Each color needs a current limiting resistor ~220Ω and a potentiometer ~1kΩ. Supply each potentiometer with 5VDC. And have fun! By adjusting the pots to vary the strength of the individual RGB colors they mix to allow many different colors to be given off.

Look, search
and you shall find:

I remember a time I was working with somebody programming in Fortran for the FIRST time. The project took us about 9 months. I kept asking questions. He finally said "Look it up". No Internet back then, but the manuals for this system was a shelf about 4 feet long full of binders.

The FORTRAN manual, I think, was just one binder.

Now it's RTFM, but now you have to find it first.

I HATE the "no packing slip" mentality now. Aliexpress, for instance, one order number for 30 items and no packing slips, PO # or any identifying marks.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Except the module is common cathode and he wanted to test it without using a uC. The TS needs to read the PDFs. All it takes is a little time googling.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The really bad part is there are no real pdfs for these modules. The best you can hope for is a schematic with component values and hopefully the part number for any IC components.

What's even worse, is I bought a whole bunch of different modules and I forget what they are even for. Sometimes not even a clue as to what they do.

With aliexpress, the Chinglish version of the datasheet is in the sales blurb, so you have to copy that and make it readable before you even order it.

That's my basic complaint with Amazon. I'll go out of my way not to use Amazon, but unfortunately it's a lot of times the better option. A >$25.00 order can usually mean no postage. I can sometime pull off that for one item at non-Amazonian places. There is no product support at Amazon either.

I'm looking at purchasing an alarm clock for the hearing impaired (me) which can also support a notification system (e.g. doorbell. baby cry, smoke/fire, phone, cell phone, panic). You can further refine the detectors like a mat for an entry door or fall out of bed alarm.

The alarm clock uses various frequencies, a strobe and a bed shaker. The cell phonne detector assumes your phone "lights up" when it gets a call.

Not much different in price from other vendors. The alarm clock is like $150.00 USD and a multi-purpose transmitter is like $90.00. Postage and no postage is playing a good part here.